What is your favorite food post RNY

MeSheHer
on 9/5/13 11:31 am
RNY on 05/08/13
I had so many foods that I loved preop. Now that Ive had surgery i cant think of a single thing that i love to eat. I use to live to eat, now I eat to live instead. Sometimes I forget to eat. Do you have a favorite food since RNY?
bneill38
on 9/5/13 11:34 am
I love mock lasagna with no noodles..amazing but i dont even miss the noodles!
MeSheHer
on 9/5/13 11:57 am
RNY on 05/08/13
I've had that a few times and didn't miss the noodles either.
kinny09
on 9/5/13 11:40 am, edited 9/5/13 11:41 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I basically scour a lot of the bariatric cookbooks and blogs online and look for ways to take foods that I really used to love and make them healthier and bariatric friendly to where I am at. Since we will be in this state for the rest of our lives, I've taken on the mindset that we should work on building a healthier relationship of food and still enjoy it, the key being moderation and not eating out of boredom and emotional distress. Food is fuel yes, but it doesn't have to taste cruddy (why should it?)! I had a real passion/love of Indian food, Spanish food and Tex-Mex type stuff, I love flavor and spice. So instead of making a giant plate of nachos covered in chili and tons of cheese, sour cream, etc. I a) reduce my portion to non-gargantuan levels and b) modify the ingredients to still be flavorful and similar but to be acceptable to my current nutritional plan.

Ex. would be the "Quesadilla" I made tonight (scroll down a few posts earlier this evening). I still love food no question, but I'm being reasonable and more importantly, responsible about it now when it comes to portions and really watching what I am adding in to my foods. Eating out was my bane, ordering in was draining our entertainment funds every month pre-op, portions are often out of control and very high calorically when you eat out at restaurants. I still eat out, but now I order off a kid's menu or just stick to very straightforward foods and I eat the protein and veg first and leave the junk out. I stopped ordering in and really have found that I actually enjoy cooking, despite having a very demanding schedule and a 3 year old, that has helped me be more conscious about my food in of itself.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

MeSheHer
on 9/5/13 12:03 pm
RNY on 05/08/13
What a great response. I love Mexican, Chinese, and Italian foods but I haven't found healthier ways to eat these things therefore, I normally have eggs, chicken, fish ALL THE TIME!
kinny09
on 9/5/13 12:06 pm, edited 9/5/13 12:15 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Do you enjoy beans, spices, curry, different types of cheese much? There is SO much you can do with all of those ingredients. You can do things with curry powder and cumin, a little ginger root, etc. and leave out the heavy cream and other heavy ingredients. Italian is easy too! Chicken with a homemade marinara sauce (throw in fresh parsley, oregano and other seasonings) and some grated fresh low fat/fat free parmesan (or full fat if you don't care) over it and bake it minus the pasta (think chicken parm, veal parm, etc.). Or some lovely cut up fresh tomatoes with slices of cheese on them drizzled with a little vinegar. Dip some veggies (carrots/celery) into spicy hummus/garlic hummus (portion out 1-2 tbsp or so, because it is very good!) for a snack. Oh and I do a ton with eggs as well, changing up the veggies and type of cheese I use in my omelets frequently so it doesn't get boring (mushrooms and goat cheese omelets are my favorite!).

Edit:

Book suggestion (I have it on my Kindle app on the iPad): Recipes for life after weight-loss surgery by Margaret Furtado. Has great recipe suggestions and it includes all the nutritional information about the meals.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

gentlyonward
on 9/5/13 11:56 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

a scrambled egg with a ton of hot sauce. XD

Jen75
on 9/5/13 12:15 pm
RNY on 07/18/13
After cooking a meal I can't eat for my family I found I don't care to spend much time cooking for myself. So I picked out several soups that have no noodles or rice, just meat and veggies. Throw it in the blender and I get 4 to 5 meals from one can.
Good luck on your journey.
65rosesmom
on 9/5/13 12:39 pm

I used to need sweets, now I am drawn to more savory foods.   Cheese and fruits are my favorite combo now.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Ceithlenn
on 9/5/13 12:59 pm - WI
RNY on 08/28/13

I'm very recent out and still on pureed food but have enjoyed most is homemade black beans blended nice and thick with a little hot sauce and a little cheese. 

Second would have to be the grilled salmon I made that I pureed with a tiny bit of avocado, lemon, garlic, and pepper. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 344 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?