Two weeks post op and EGD (endoscopy) showed ulcer at the anastomosis -

Maggie May
on 9/5/13 8:02 am, edited 9/5/13 8:16 am
RNY on 08/21/13

After my endoscopy today, the doc gave me pictures and it's a very ugly ulcer at the anastomosis which would explain why I'm in so my friggin pain when I try to drink and am barely getting fluids down. I'm on Carafate and Prilosec. Anyone deal with ulcers after surgery? I also have what he thinks may be a fistula,, I don't even know what that is. I'm so upset to have these complications and so soon? I'm in so much pain. I can't believe this didn't go smoothly. :(

Maggie May 

Loveymae
on 9/5/13 8:56 am

I didn't have your problems but I just want you to know that I hope you get to feeling better very soon!  Take care.

SW: 307    

Kjmollyo
on 9/7/13 12:19 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

I have dealt with ulcers since march 2012, 2 months after my rny.  I had one perf my pouch as well as a fistula june 2012, which they repaired with an omental patch.  I continued to have pain which would worsen and then get a bit better.  I have had unrelenting nausea and taken a variety of ppis and sucralfate to try to treat them.  Along the way they repaired 2 internal hernias and removed my gallbladder.  They recently did a side viewing gastroscopy which showed a large, nasty anastomotic ulcer on the jejunal side.  Last Wednesday i had a revision of the gastrojejunal anastomosis.  The ulcer was much larger than originally thought and it had perforated but the omental patch prevented it from leaking.  There was an extensive amount of inflammation so they had to remove about a foot of jejunum and only a small amount of my pouch.  It was a long complicated surgery but I finally feel like I am getting better.  I will be on clear fluids for about 3 weeks due to the large amt of inflammation and swelling and then I will progress thru the stages just like before. It has been a rough road but I think its all good now.  I hope everything goes well for you.  

Current Weight 118 lbs

Maggie May
on 9/8/13 2:14 am
RNY on 08/21/13

Wow, that is awful and I am so sorry you've had such complications. Have you ever been able to eat? I'm in the pureed stage but haven't been able to tolerate anything. I'm not getting much of anything in at this point due to the pain. I'm walking around swigging the carafate bottle. Ugh. :(

Maggie May 

Kjmollyo
on 9/8/13 12:09 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

I have been able to eat...some days better than others.  It has been hard, but I have always tried to get all my protein and fluids in...I tried to stay as nutritionally optimized as I could.  I dont use supplements too often but if I needed to achieve protein and calorie goals I did.  Keep at it...I am a worst case scenario I think, but I followed the rules and the good advice I got on here and I really believe I am finally getting better.  Take care.   kj

Current Weight 118 lbs

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 411 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views