Loose Skin Question

ebtiger24
on 9/9/13 6:23 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

I am trying to figure out where I need to be weight wise. Not surprisingly after 170 lbs lost in 9 months I have a good bit of loose skin.  I still have a significant overhang from my stomach. I know that can be loose skin, but it also feels like it has a lot of fat in it. I am about 10 lbs from a normal BMI (at the upper level). How can I tell loose skin from fat there? I want to make sure I don't lose too much weight. Based off some others that have responded I am factoring in about 3-6 lbs of loose skin in my total weight. 

My arms, face, neck, lower legs, chest, and lower thighs are incredibly lean. My inner upper thighs and stomach have all the loose skin and fat left on me. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/9/13 8:29 am - OH

Loose skin alone, with just some tissue attached weighs very little (I had a huge apron of skin that hung way down onto my thighs and it was only 6 pounds!).  It can also very easily be manipulated (squished, pinched, folded, etc.).  It will be very flat if you fold it over onto itself (you will be able to feel your fingers rub together if you pinch just skin and slide our fingers back and forth) whereas if there is still fat underneath it, you won't be able to mash and pinch it together, etc as easily (and you will not feel your fingers easily when you pinch it between your fingers).

I am six years out and the only place I have any significant  amount of fat left is on my thighs (along with a LOT of extra skin all the way down to my knees), and it doesn't want to go anywhere. So I just wear knee length shorts and live with it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Katie K.
on 9/9/13 7:13 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Wow. That is gross and entirely helpful. Between this and miss calla's picture, I know what to hope for!

Calla Lily
on 9/9/13 1:21 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

If you click my profile, and look at my pictures, I have one showing the skin prior to my skin removed. It will look very thin, and crapey when all the fat is gone. My skin that was removed was 1.4 pounds, so the extra skin weighs very little.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 21 views