My one year surgeversary is tomorrow!!

AnniesSS
on 9/10/13 9:51 am, edited 9/10/13 9:54 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I can't believe it's been a year already!  Time has TOTALLY flown by.  I'm still so grateful for having my surgery and being able to do more then before. 

I hope this works - here is my comparison photos:

On the left is the morning of surgery - Sept 11, 2012 (the wrong date is listed) and the middle and left are last week at Disney!

I started off my journey at 278lbs, on surgery date, I was 257 and today, I am 157!!  121lbs GONE and hopefully for good!

I occasionally have issues, but they are my fault, in that I go back to chewing and eating too fast!  Even after a year, I still have to think about cutting small pieces and chew chew chewing!    But for the most part, things are great, I don't feel like I am being denied any food or drink and although I have an ice cream craving now and then, I don't succumb because the consequence is pain in my pouch and I DON'T like pain!

Just today, someone didn't recognize me and it makes me laugh cause I don't really feel different!  But when I look at the photo of me, I do see a huge difference and unless you saw me every day, you would probably not recognize me too.

While on vacation last week, there were comments made about how much I eat - 6 times a day - and that I'm picky!  The picky comment came after I ordered my filet mignon medium and it came out well done and well done meat doesn't go down well with me, so I couldn't eat my $40 steak!  Yes, I have to be picky, but it's for my own health and own good and if someone else can't understand that, even after explaining, then I'm sorry, but it is what it is!  I have to do what's right for me.

I started my journey by reading an article that explained how WLS cured Type-2 diabetes - which I had.  A few months ago, I was interviewed by the hospital that I had my surgery in and the article was featured in the newsletter, blog and in one of the local magazines.  Although I was nervous about revealing so much to so many people, I knew that since I read and article and it got me to where I am today, that maybe someone else will ready my article and hopefully get inspired to do something good for themselves.

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

babs_02
on 9/10/13 10:21 am - NY

Congratulations Annie I am also one year out tomorrow. I began my journey at 248 and today I was 170. I still have a way to go and at the age of 61 I never thought I'd fit into a size 12 again but I do. I am no longer an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic. My kidney failure is gone and I am not in congestive heart failure anymore. I am able to walk and enjoy my life without the sicknesses that I had faced before the surgery. My time was very limited then and knew that my life would end if I could not get rid of the diabetes and kidney failure. My heart is severely damaged and would never be able to handle going through dialysis. It's been a long road for me and a slower weight loss than most people but I am so pleased with the weight I have lost so far. I have met my surgeons goal and will meet mine soon. I feel wonderful and I am now able to exercise and walk and feel alive again. I am so thankful for this surgery and for being rid of my health issues. I went from taking 14 pills and three different types of oral diabetes medicines and insulin several times a day to having to take two heart medications twice a day. It's a wonderful feeling!!! I wish I had the RNY surgery 5 years ago when I first went to meet the surgeon but a week before surgery, I chickened out  and then my health took a downward spiral. 5  years later I was faced with a life or death decision.....and I opted for the surgery to save my life.That was something I should have done 5 years ago. Here I am a year later after surgery and healthier than I have been in 20 years.

AnniesSS
on 9/10/13 10:30 am
RNY on 09/11/12

Congratulations to you too babs!!!  I'm glad you made the decision to get healthier!  Keep up the good work :)

sonyamarie75
on 9/10/13 10:27 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story! Happy Surgiversary and great pictures by the way!

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

AnniesSS
on 9/10/13 10:31 am
RNY on 09/11/12

Thank you!

Lessoflinda
on 9/10/13 10:44 am - NY
Wow....you look amazing. Congrats!!

Linda, Endwell, NY RNY 11/5/12

Teach64
on 9/10/13 11:19 am - OH
RNY on 07/01/13
Congratulations on your success! Happy Surgiversary!!! You look fantastic

Stacyjanp
on 9/10/13 11:34 am - NC
RNY on 09/30/13

You look awesome.

Lets go CANES!

Member Services
on 9/10/13 1:26 pm - Irvine, CA

Wonderful post!  Thank you for sharing it.

angry

Karen R.
on 9/10/13 1:49 pm
RNY on 04/14/13

You look great!  Congratulations on all your hard work and your obvious success.  You're an inspiration!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?