Giving blood after rny....not a good idea for some (like me)

shygirlxoxo
on 9/13/13 12:24 am - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

So back in June, the red cross was doing a blood drive and I wanted to help out. They checked my hemoglobin and it was perfect. They even do a lab panel where you can see your cholesterol, irons saturation and all that good stuff. So I donated blood and felt fine. I've been having those spells that a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight have where I get super dizzy and almost blackout. My six month labs (in june) were perfect. I went to my pcp two weeks ago and after she ran my labs and my iron and hemoglobin are so low she couldnt believe it and had them rechecked. It has been almost 3 and a half months and my body has not replenished what I gave. I am under orders to never donate again. I really didnt know this was a concern or that anemia would happen so fast. I just wanted to share so that people will ask their doctors before donating because obviously some of us cant handle the loss of that much iron. 

-Anna  HW: 401 | SW: 377 (12/04/12) Blog: http://notfattabulous.blogspot.com

DoryAnne2
on 9/13/13 12:34 am
RNY on 04/01/13

Congratulations on losing so much weight!  Thanks for the heads up since I often donate blood and wouldn't have thought twice about it.  I'll ask my doctor is opinion ahead of time.  Hope you replenish soon. 

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

shygirlxoxo
on 9/13/13 11:30 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

Thanks! Im working on it. Def ask your doctor. There are so many things that we arent told and have to figure out the hard way.

jenorama
on 9/13/13 12:41 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I did the very low calorie diet with HMR several years ago and I remember they told us that while we were on the VLC diet, we could not donate blood because we needed every drop for ourselves!  That is a bummer though that you can't donate again.  :(  I'll have to look into donating $$$ because I have to be greedy with my blood.  Glad you didn't have a more drastic problem from your generosity!  :D

Jen

shygirlxoxo
on 9/13/13 11:31 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

Interesting, I didnt know about the VLC and not donating. I think I will volunteer instead now :)

cajungirl
on 9/13/13 1:40 am

I know some do but I won't donate since WLS because of exactly what you've experienced.  It's not worth tanking and feeling like crap. 

Hope you get your numbers up, you may require iron infusions if your numbers are too low.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/13/13 1:57 am - OH

That is exactly the reason that my surgeon recommended that RNYers and DSers not give blood post-op.  Some apparently donate blood and have no trouble, but many people experience what you have.

Even when I had my knee surgery, which did not have extensive blood loss, I had to stay in the hospital for an extra day to receive several units of blood because my levels were so low 3 days afterward.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shygirlxoxo
on 9/13/13 11:34 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

Its really scary. Surgeons should have a guideline of things they HAVE to tell their patients. I think that even though some can give successfully, its a gamble.

Jacob H.
on 9/13/13 5:15 am - CA

I have donated 3 times in the last year, I feel a little dehydrated afterward but am fine the next day and so far my labs haven't been affected

True victory comes at the very end, when you can say, " I lived, and will gladly do it again." View "failure" as a setback, and meet each accomplishment with a larger goal.

shygirlxoxo
on 9/13/13 11:36 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

Its crazy how we vary so drastically after this surgery. I feel bad not being able to give because it was something i did religiously.  I guess I will have to donate time or money now :) Oddly enough Ive felt fine ever since. I didnt even know anything was wrong :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views