any ladies have gone through a hysterectomy?

Amanda M.
on 10/1/13 5:05 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I am looking at possibly needing a hysterectomy. I will find out on Thursday if that is the step my doctor and I want to take.

I have done research and I see it is very common to gain a substantial amount of weight, to have trouble losing weight, and trouble in maintaining weight.

I am 28 years old, 8 1/2 months post op, lost all of my excess weight, and am down to a normal BMI. I am scared a hysterecromy could ruin the work I have put in. But we have tried so many other things and this is really the next step.

Anyone with experience care to share?

Thanks!

cajungirl
on 10/1/13 5:34 am

I had a hysterectomy in 2010 (5 years post-op) and haven't had any regain.  I do have to take replacement hormone therapy or I'm an emotional wreck (ovaries removed also).  It's one of the best things I've ever done.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Amanda M.
on 10/1/13 5:57 am
RNY on 01/18/13
My ovaries would get to hang out awhile longer, lol. In June I had the D & C and ablation to control extreme cramps and bleeding. It made my periods lighter the first two times, but now they are heavy and super painful again. They last 9 days and I am only getting a 1-2 week break between them. My doctor had said if the ablation didnt work, a hysterectomy may be necessary. So I am guessing it will definitely be considered since I cannot take birth control due to liver issues. Thanks for your input!!!!

Lisa O.
on 10/1/13 6:54 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I also had the partial as you described.  You shouldn't have any problems because your hormones shouldn't be affected at all.  I had my surgery LAP performed by the Davinci robot and it was a breeze!

Best, 

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

cajungirl
on 10/1/13 9:06 am
I had the same experience with an ablation. If you have adneomyosis the ablation will not benefit you. I was 46 so I decides it best to remove the ovaries too. Doc said good choice when she got in there she felt it was in my best interest.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Justcallmesuz
on 10/1/13 6:11 am
RNY on 05/08/13

I had one two years ago due to Ovarian cancer. I  was gutted. 

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Amanda M.
on 10/1/13 6:12 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Did you experience weight gain or any other weight troubles?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/1/13 7:43 am - OH

I didn't experience any weight gain after mine.  The surgeon left my ovaries, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amanda M.
on 10/1/13 8:38 am
RNY on 01/18/13

The research I have found states that the weight gain isn't just from hormonal changes, but also from decreased blood flow to the lower abdomen. With lower blood flow, the fat is more likely to remain or build, rather than being burned as energy. This causes an increased midsection for many women. Or so the research says. I guess I was under the impression if they left my ovaries, I would be alright. I am glad to see that multiple women here did not experience negative side effects from having a hysterectomy. 

scoobyluvr1
on 10/1/13 8:51 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Hi i had a complete hysterectomy several years ago and did experience weight gain. But keep in mind i have not yet had wls. So the others experiences are probably more benefical. I do know that statistics have shown the most common symptom of hysterectomy to be weight gain but, this can be thwarted with proper diet and exercise. Just cause some folks have weight gain doesnt mean it has to happen to you :)

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics