Recognizing when I'm kidding myself

Zeigled
on 10/2/13 12:11 pm - Parkton, MD

Well - past couple of days have been a bit of a challenge for me.  I kept thinking that I could have just a little extra of this or that.  Vets - what are your tips for not doing that? I haven't given in to those urges but I have been tempted.  I have set the exact amts of what I eat every day and have been successful maintaining my weight - I'm 2 years out.  Now for the past couple of days I've had a strong urge to nibble on say an extra pretzel (that won't hurt me) or an extra yogurt - or whatever.  So far I've resisted.  Maybe it's stress related - my levels are up there right now - lots of 'stuff' going on.  Well I'm happy I'm resisting but I'm afraid I might cave.  Any tips from the vets - or newbies with ideas too.

Thanks everyone!

HW 357 SW 341   

cajungirl
on 10/2/13 12:56 pm, edited 10/2/13 7:52 pm
There will have days like that. This is what I do some foods I've found put me on a spiral of junk eating. If I eat something with too many carbs earlier in the day then I fight choices all day.

I love oatmeal but it's going to change my game if I eat it for breakfast so I don't. I will rarely eat some in the evenings if I just really want some (it's comforting to me for some reason I can't explain). The rational is I'm going to go to bed in a couple hrs so if/when the cycle of constantly wanting to eat comes around I can't do much damage In a couple of hours.

Ymmv

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

nfarris79
on 10/2/13 7:55 pm - Germantown, MD

Yeah, been struggling with that snack monster on occasion too, for a WHILE..... Sometimes it helps to distract, get away from the kitchen, put something on my lap so I'm not able to get up to get more food (laptop, cat, etc...). Sometimes I'm not so successful at resisting the urge and sometimes it borders on a binge - what I do in those cases is accept that I made the choice to eat more than necessary and start anew. ASAP. Like if I snack excessively at lunch, there's no reason I can't make better choices at dinner. Sometimes I even need a "reset" day to recognize hunger & satiety and get back on track.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/2/13 8:55 pm
There are snacks that I can have a bite or 2 and leave the rest for another time. And there are foods that I can't stop eating if I start. I avoid them. It is better for me to avoid them all together than risk cravings...
There are also snacks that I give myself "free range" to eat when I feel I need to munch on food...(They are mostly proteins - some with fat but with almost no carbs - like meat sticks, cheese sticks, eggs, and some low carb veggies eaten with proteins )

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Zeigled
on 10/2/13 10:32 pm - Parkton, MD

Thanks...good ideas

HW 357 SW 341   

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 336 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?