Serious Stall!

jschultes
on 10/7/13 1:07 am - ND

Well, it's been pushing a year that I lost anything despite dieting, changing up my diet consistently to see if that will help. I lost 150lbs initially in the first 9 months and have not been able to lose after that.

I would just talk to my nutritionist, but the doctor uses more than one and I have found that each one of them says something different as far as how much I should be eating calorie wise. Some even say not to track calories, but to keep my protein up and I'll be fine. I do track calories of course and eat between 900 and 1500 depending on the day and activity level.

Any suggestions on what I could do to kick start this? I take in all the water I need to and protein. I try to keep things nutritionally balanced. I have even tried both the low carb diet and gluten free diet neither one has done anything.

I am going to start going to Weigh****chers this week (i understand they do some kind of flex plan I can work with for my specialized diet because of RNY). Plus I think the buddy system with a scale will help motivate me, but...I do feel motivated and just keep plugging away and nothing happens. So frustrating!

Dee.spunk
on 10/7/13 1:20 am - Sacramento, CA
I think we are in the same boat. What an accomplishment! 150 lbs is awesome! You should be so happy! And proud!

I lost up until my twelfth month, and then...nada. I wanted to lose another 20 pounds, but my body decided that this is where it's happy. Nothing I do, wether it's exercise or change of diet, will make my weight move.

So, after speaking with my nutritionist, we decided that this is probably where I'll stay. She said if anything, maybe I can lose another 10-20 lbs if I do plastics.

I'm actually still really happy with where I'm at. If I lost more, I'd be ecstatic! But what I've lost so far is such a blessing.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

jschultes
on 10/7/13 1:34 am - ND

I know that my doctor after seeing me at the weight I am changed my goal weight from 165 to 180, but I'm still floating between 220 and 230. I do have a lot of excess skin on my stomach and wonder if that would be a lot of weight? This shouldn't be where I am should it? I'm 5'7". Unless I have 30lbs of extra skin :).

Yep 150 is a serious accomplishment, but not hitting goal is really getting to me...

Laura in Texas
on 10/7/13 4:05 am

I am also 5'7" tall. Are you weighing and measuring your portions? A lot of us suffer from "portion distortion". Be sure you are being honest with yourself.

Skin does not weigh that much. I had 2 square feet of skin removed and it only weighed about 5 pounds.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

dasie
on 10/8/13 7:47 am
You are the reason I joined MyFitnessPal and was able to get my gain in check. I love your terminology "portion distortion." That is a Very true statement. You were honest with me and told me I had to be brutally honest with myself. If others will take your advice, I know they will have great success too

dasie
on 10/7/13 2:41 am
I can only share what works for me. These may be things you do already.

First I log every bite that goes into my mouth using MyFitnessPal. I keep my calories to 1200 per day. I do go over, but if I do I stay under 1500

I rarely eat bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, crackers, those kinds of starches. My big issue is sweets. I tried to stay away from them, but eat more sweets then white starchy carbs. When I add those foods into my diet I inevitably gain. When I omit them totally, I lose fairly easily.

I always follow the no drinking rule. I wait 30 minutes minimum after Each meal to drink, but it is more like 45 minutes to an hour because I get busy and I'm not thirsty.

My surgeon told me presurgery I must move my body every day for a minimum of 30 minutes per day. I do my best to exercise and to get my heart rate up. Not exercising was becoming a big problem, so I hired a personal trainer for five weeks. It was some if the best money I ever spent. It forced me to go to the gym when I did not want to because I had spent the money and had a session. By the time the lessons were over, I had established A habit.

Some of the best advice I received on this site was "log every bite that goes into your mouth and be brutally honest with yourself." Until I saw for myself how quickly the calories added up I really had no idea I was eating as many as I was. Also, weigh and measure everything. I am four years post op in November, and I still weigh and I still measure everything 99% of the time. I am far from perfect, but I try really hard to follow these rules

You have been amazingly successful .Congratulations. In my opinion tweaking your plan you will be able to drop additional weight. Like one doctor told me , as far out as I am I'm like everyone else, kind of, and have to work consistently like the general population, to drop and keep the weight off.

When I consistently follow the rules I use, losing more weight is not difficult at all. The tool still works. Good luck

jschultes
on 10/8/13 7:15 am - ND

I think that I need to move my body more and that might be a key for me? I am active in my daily life and do horse back riding and all of that, but maybe more consistent daily exercise with heart rate increase would help.

I too use myfitnesspal and have consistently tracked my food for a year now. I like that the program breaks out protein. I watch my protein and sodium especially because I am very likely to gain water weight. I of course watch all other levels but those two especially.

I too follow the no drinking rule and actually if I don't I'll throw up almost every time.

I tried going gluten free and carb free at different intervals for about a month each more on the carb free diet but it did nothing to jump start weight loss. Can your body just "panic" after losing so much? If I keep plugging away will it start again or am I just this way normally?

So confused and stuck.

dasie
on 10/8/13 8:02 am
Consistent exercise might be the key for you. I know it is for me. If I don't exercise it is difficult to maintain my weight if I allow myself the occasional or far too often occasional treat. Without exercise I can maintain with strict strict eating. But when I watch what I eat measure and watch portions and exercise I lose fairly quickly.
I do not do carb free. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I have never tried gluten-free. I try to eliminate starchy carbs though. Low or no carb I feel horrible and lack energy. I just try to eat healthy carbs.

You'll know what weight is right for you. I have a small frame, am 5'9", and today I weighed 130 pounds. My lowest weight was 127, and that is what I am working toward again for my four year surgiversary. Don't let others dictate the number to you other than your surgeon and health care professional. I had people try to tell me what I should or should not weigh based upon their experience. My surgeon is extremely pleased with my progress, and 127 was a very good weight for me.

jschultes
on 10/9/13 6:52 am - ND

Wow! 5'9" and 130? I think that I do have a larger frame...despite me saying I was big boned all my life I really think I might be...lol. i know that I am not happy with 220-230 like I have been and want to be at least 180 or less. I know that once I start losing again I'll be able to push past it all but it's frustrating when you feel like your starving yourself and there is no change.

Yep, more exercise must be the thing I need. I am so unmotivated in that category, not going to lie...

dasie
on 10/9/13 12:44 pm
How many calories a day do you eat. Is it so low that is why you feel you are starving yourself? I never let myself become hungry even if it means having to eat an additional snack.

My purpose for telling you my weight was to simply share my experience. I had more than a few tell me my goal weight was unrealistically low - even from those in the bariatric community. But at 5'9" wearing a 7 1/2 size shoe that's how small boned I am. If I were larger boned this weight would not work. In fact most people I know that are my height prior to weight-loss surgery wore smaller sizes than I did though we weighed the same. Their frame weighed more than mine did thus I actually carrying more fat on my body. I used to be amazed that we would be the same height/height yet they would wear several sizes less than I

It took three years for me to reach my goal weight. I just kept plugging away doing what I knew I needed to do. There were stretches when I was eating far too many inappropriate foods, but by and large I always stayed on my plan. At this moment I am extremely focused and disciplined about my weight.

Keep working. You have done amazingly well and have experienced a lot of success in your stats

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics