Gallbladder - what to expect

Ocalasam
on 10/7/13 1:08 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I am having my gallbladder removed on Oct. 17th.  What should I expect as far as recovery, pain, etc.  Will anything be different about how I feel or the way I eat after I have my gallbladder out?  I think it's going to be no big deal, a simple surgery, and I have no expectations of anything else being different. . . anyone have any input??

cajungirl
on 10/7/13 1:16 am

YMMV, for me the pain was more than my RNY, C-section and hysterectomy, not sure why.  It was done out patient.  My experience is too much fat especially early out would cause bathroom issues, I still get slight nausea from fatty things (too much cheese, avocado, EVVO (all good fats)).

Had surgery on Thursday and different go back to wor****il the following Tuesday.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Ocalasam
on 10/7/13 1:27 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Thanks for your response, Cajungirl.  Wow!  Worse than your other surgeries??  I have had two C -sections and RNY, so I was hoping this would be a breeze!  I'm supposed to have it outpatient too.  I am having it on a Thursday and going back to work the following Wednesday.  I hope this will be long enough.  I'm typically a fast healer.  Do you typically get pain medication after this surgery??

cajungirl
on 10/7/13 1:59 am

Yes ma'am I had pain meds.  Many people recover very quickly from it so I was surprised mine was worse than other surgeries.  It wiped me out (so exhausted).  Now that I think about it, this was right before I ended up with infusions for anemia....hmmm wonder if that might be why my recovery was more difficult.  Never even though about that......labs were drawn but I know they didn't do ferritin and that the big deal reason for infusions.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Mo Diggity
on 10/7/13 2:03 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I just had mine out on Thursday, so I can't tell you about eating wise. I as in A LOT of pain the day of surgery & the day after I felt like I wa**** by a truck !! Also alot of nausea, barely ate or drank for 2 -3 days. But the 3rd day, it started to get a bit better. Today is day 4 after surgery, and there's still localized pain where he took the gallbladder out, but it's definitely bearable. I think I was in so much pain the 2nd day, because I took no pain pill during the night before (even though everyone said stay on your pain pill schedule !!), I couldn't find my pills and was WAY too nauseous to look :/

Just MAKE SURE you stay on schedule with pain meds, don't wait for pain to start !!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Karen8268
on 10/7/13 7:13 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
Everybody is different. My RNY was a piece of cake compared to having my gallbladder out 8 months later. With RNY I took no pain meds and was up 1 1/2 hrs after surgery and didn't even feel like anything was done 4 days later. Not so much with the gallbladder removal. I was miserable for 3 weeks. Fatigued, no appetite, diarrhea for almost 2 weeks... Just plain yuck!! I was a full 6 weeks before I felt truly "normal" again.
That being said, 4 months later, I certainly don't miss the little bugger! Lol
No more pain and discomfort. Glad to be rid of it!
I wish you all the best

AnniesSS
on 10/7/13 10:48 am
RNY on 09/11/12

Had mine removed 1 1/2 years ago.  Surgery was easy, recovery was easy - I went to a Carolina Hurricanes hockey game 2 days later!  But I took the week off from work under doctor's orders ;-)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Steele1222
on 10/7/13 11:53 pm - niceville, FL
RNY on 12/19/12

I just had mine taken out on Sept.11. I did have to stay overnight because my bladder did not wake up from the anestesia like it was supposed to. Also my intestines did not become fully functional again immediently and that coupled with the pain medication caused me to have a small bowel obstruction and go back into the hospital for 3 days. When I went back in they put me on fluids and nothing by mouth for 2 days and no pain meds. My intestines began working properly and things got back to normal. There was not a ton of pain with the gallbladder removal. The worst was the bowel obstruction. I couldn't keep anything down and I just had a "gut" feeling that something was wrong. I had to go back to the ER two nights in a row before they figured out I had an obstruction. My advice is that it shouldn't be that bad, but listen to your body afterwards and let someone know if things aren't better afterwards.I do not eat any different now, except I eat less I think because I went so long without eating anything, I think my pouch may have tightened some. Good Luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 334 views