Alcoholism or other addictions post bypass

andrea S.
on 10/15/13 12:21 am - PA

embarassing question but I am 2 years out and noticed about a year in that when I drink I tend to not be able to stop.  I was so excited when I knew I would be drinking and then I couldn't stop... I just kept drinking.  It started happening too much so I quit.  I am very disappointed in myself.  I thought about it though and considered the fact that I clearly had a food addiction before so maybe I am replacing it??  Thoughts?

ebtiger24
on 10/15/13 12:34 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I have not seen anything definitive on it, but there is some belief (and may be studies) that if you have an addiction you can develop others.

I don't believe though that all obese people are food addicts. Some are and some just make poor choices and don't get enough exercise. Just my opinion though.

blopez579
on 10/15/13 12:50 am
RNY on 09/11/13

They really warned me to watch out for replacement addictions, and a high incidence of alcoholism. Your body mainlines it now after surgery, and makes addiction so much easier. 

I was drinking quite a bit of wine before the pre-surgery diet, and really grumbled about the year of no alcohol, but now, I'm really thinking I might not bring alcohol back into the house, even after the year.  I think it's just asking for trouble.  There's the alcoholism risk, and the empty calories, but not only that, there's the extra food that is usually eaten because our control mechanism is lowered with the alcohol.  Sounds like a recipe for failure all around.

Don't be disappointed in yourself.  It's physiological.  Be glad that you noticed, and quit in time!!!!!  Great job in that respect!

andrea S.
on 10/15/13 12:54 am - PA

I was definitely addicted to food... I think I still am to an extent but I can't eat like I want to.  That was the biggest reason why diets didn't work for me.  I knew what choices were the right choices but I didn't make them.  I could maintain diets for a while then ultimately I would eat what I wanted again. 

I have seen many therapists in  my life and I believe some people do have an addictive personality.  My willpower is just horrible lol The only reason I don't eat too much now is because my stomach won't allow it LOL

I am not wishing this "alcoholism" thing on anyone but I hope I am not the only one in this boat lol

blopez579
on 10/15/13 1:16 am
RNY on 09/11/13

You definitely are not alone in that boat.  A quick search of "alcoholism" in the forums will prove that. 

As a matter of fact, here's a link (I hope) to a post the other day that really touched me.  You might want to read it. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/4653037/alcohol-amp-RNY/#38603745

In case the link disappears, it was posted by turningpoint on 10/7, subject line "Alcohol & RNY".

andrea S.
on 10/15/13 2:06 am - PA

thank you so much!

I prepared for at least a year for this surgery.  I don't think I could have researched it any more than I did.  I saw therapists, nutritionists, did support groups, seminars etc yet there are still things you really cannot learn until you have it.  Each phase there is a different challenge.  In the beginning it is hard to find things your stomach can handle... and getting your water in... then it is forcing myself to take the vitamins... then it is resistance to protein... dumping sydrome etc etc

Next thing you know you look in the mirror and see a fat person even though you are skinny... you don''t know how to shop... how to dress... how to talk to people about surgery.  You get arrogant about what you think you can eat and end up throwing up ...

You end up in debt from surgery and next thing you know you are at the liquor store LOL

still the best decision I ever made but to think that people say this is the EASY way out!!!

kinny09
on 10/15/13 2:16 am, edited 10/15/13 2:16 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Yes, as with any addiction that you break free from, the risk of transfer addiction is always there. Just like someone who could quit smoking and turn to food or alcohol, the same is a true risk for one with a food addiction turning to other substances or activities. It's probably best to abstain if you know it could lead to excess. A lot of people find that replacing food with a hobby, exercise or another activity to be beneficial. It's great that you are aware and you knew that an addiction was brewing, so many do not see the red flags until it is too late.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

andrea S.
on 10/15/13 3:11 am - PA

I never thought of the smoking comparison! Every person I know that quit smoking gained tons of weight! It is so easy to forget that food can be an addiction too

ShrinkingJoe
on 10/15/13 2:40 am

I have to say, I was a proponent of alcohol post RNY, but now at three years out, I have switched to recommend caution.  If you can avoid it, except in the smallest quantities in the most social situations, you will do well.  If you choose to abstain, that is an excellent choice also.

andrea S.
on 10/15/13 3:13 am - PA

I am hoping that in the future I will be able to drink in social situations.  As long as I limit myself I am fine but I am just not good at limiting LOL That is how I got to be so big before surgery lol couldn't limit food

if I have to completely abstain then I will live with it :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 287 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics