Question about Dumping

bdaycakegirl
on 10/15/13 2:59 am

I've read on here before that not everyone dumps, in fact less don't than do.

Does this mean some people after having surgery can consume liquid sweets such as milkshakes and just have it go right through their pouch and stoma with no problem? Not that I want to drink milkshakes, but I am compiling a lists of the pros and cons of different procedures and rating them.

Thank you.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Ocalasam
on 10/15/13 3:04 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Yes.  That's how lots of people have sabotaged their surgery.  Slider foods and high fat/high calorie liquids can be tolerated by many.  That's what will put the weight back on you once you're not malabsorbing anymore.

cajungirl
on 10/15/13 3:05 am

You are right in that less do than don't.  Only 30% of RNYers dump, although there are others that will experience only nausea with too much sugar, sugar alcohols also but it's not like the full-on dumping that others experience.

I'm not a dumper but do know my limits because I will get sick to my stomach.  I'd NEVER try to drink a milk shake the sugar and milk I know would make me ill.

I'm sure all things are possible, I HOPE no one is brave enough to try a milkshake (or more than a sip) I'd be scared to death to get sick on it.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 10/15/13 3:09 am - OH

Yes, that's what it means.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GSFan
on 10/15/13 3:13 am

It is definitely possible.  I have an acquaintance that lost forty pounds initially with RNY surgery.  By the one year anniversary of her surgery she was heavier than ever thanks to her Blizzard-a-day habit...it can happen!  Proof that "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got."

poet_kelly
on 10/15/13 3:32 am - OH

I think you'd regain no matter what WLS you had if you ate a Blizzard a day.  Unless you were crazy-active and burned thousands of calories a day.  In the end, if you want to lose weight, you have to change your eating habits.  Surgery can help, but there is no way to eat the way I used to eat and lose weight and keep it off.  There just isn't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/15/13 3:19 am

The blizzard a day story makes me sad.

I'm not really into liquid calories, I'm just looking to hedge my bet and make sure I have all my bases covered.

laura343
on 10/15/13 7:54 am

I would say you may want to double think if this is the right step for you.  yes some have the ability to eat and drink sugary things without dumping.  it don't just go through you without consuming some of those calories.  I have had a small cookie but that is all..  i always remind myself that i did not do this to mess it up...  I know people who have had the surgery lost weight and gained it back...  You have to mentally prepare to not have sweets like that anymore or at least they will be very very very limited.....  

bdaycakegirl
on 10/15/13 8:15 am

The reason  I am asking is not so I can do it. I am hoping that I won't and can't.

quiltpainter
on 10/15/13 11:28 am - CT

Then don't even try it, because you might not dump. Don't set yourself up. Find an alternative. On vacation I ordered a sugar free scoop of ice cream.  Look for ways around what you can no longer have.   I don't need the sweets like cookies and cakes, so its easier to say no, but I may keep a protein snack close by when I know I will be around something tempting.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics