Gained weight Week 8 Post-op????

Michele1az
on 10/21/13 6:14 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13

HELP!

I have been losing 5 lbs a week since surgery, August 26th. I was down 40 lbs last Monday and now this Monday I am up 4 lbs. WHAT??? How can that be?

My blood pressure meds were cut in half because of the weight loss, but now I am not taking the water pill. Could I be retaining water?

I will tell you my biggest mistakes:  Not enough water, not enough protein, no exercise... but would that equal weight gain??

Your thoughts are appreciated. I am still working on drinking enough water and eating enough protein. These are a full-time job.

Michele

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

PetHairMagnet
on 10/21/13 6:18 am
RNY on 05/13/13
I 'gain' 5 lbs with my period and then it goes along with a few others a couple days later. To truly gain you'd have to be eating 3500 extra calories a day. If you have not done that, then don't stress.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

karin602
on 10/21/13 6:22 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

You've done great and your body is perhaps adjusting.  But you do need to get in the water, protein and hopefully the exercise.  I found the more water I get in the faster the weight loss has been.  And you need the protein to protect your muscles - especially the heart one.  Not enough protein the body takes the necessary aminos from your muscles.  

Karin

TurnThePage
on 10/21/13 8:20 am

Not enough water, not enough protein, no exercise... but would that equal weight gain??

Yes, unfortunately if you don't stick with the program, you won't get the results.You may also have hit a stall, so not only are you not losing, you're actually gaining.

It's really important for your overall health that you get your required water and protein every day or your body shifts into conservation mode to hold onto its decreasing resources. Get back on track and start exercising too. Exercise will speed up the loss.  Take good care of yourself!

tdbull
on 10/21/13 2:05 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I had my first stall at week 3 and think I gained 3-4 lbs too. It did come off, and then some, but it took a little over 2 weeks. Hang in there!

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 225 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 398 views
Recent Topics