Probably won't have surgery for another 4 months

bdaycakegirl
on 10/22/13 6:44 am

My surgeon is in and out as his wife has terminal cancer. As of right now my surgery won't be for another four months, at least. They won't even submit my paperwork to insurance, as even if it gets approved, the approval may expire prior to me getting surgery. I am so very sad for him, and also frustrated for myself. I've been working at this for a full year now.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 6:46 am - OH

I'm sorry to hear that.  Is it possible to have a different surgeon do your procedure?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/22/13 6:51 am

Not unless I completely switch programs and do a 7 hour commute. Not sure if I would have to start the process all over as well.

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 6:53 am - OH

You shouldn't have to do everything over. You would need to consult with the new surgeon, of course, and they  might want you to consult with their dietician.  If they have a pre op class there, they'd probably want you to attend that.  You should not have to repeat any pre op tests you've already done, though.

There are no other surgeons on your insurance plan closer than seven hours to you?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 10/22/13 6:59 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

You shouldn't have to do everything over. You would need to consult with the new surgeon, of course, and they  might want you to consult with their dietician.  If they have a pre op class there, they'd probably want you to attend that.  You should not have to repeat any pre op tests you've already done, though.

There are no other surgeons on your insurance plan closer than seven hours to you?

Same questions here

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

bdaycakegirl
on 10/22/13 6:59 am

Actually, there is a Center of Excellence one state over that is only an hour away. I was looking only in my state. It scares me to switch, but I guess I can start researching those surgeons.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/13 7:11 am

Don't be afraid to switch.If it is for your benefit and your health it is worth it. I am sure your doctor would understand.Best wishes.Don't feel guilty.

bdaycakegirl
on 10/22/13 7:13 am

The surgeon I have now, came so highly recommended to me. I live in a small area, so word of mouth is huge. He's the BEST. I don't know how to find out if someone else is "the best".

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 7:20 am - OH

You don't have to switch.  But it's an option available to you, if you don't want to wait four more months.

KellyC210
on 10/22/13 7:35 am - SC

I started the process of getting insurance approval for WLS in VA in January. I moved to SC in July for work, and the only thing I had to repeat was the information seminar, which was like an hour and a half one night. No biggie. Most programs wont make you repeat all you have already done, and anywhere that is a Center of Excellence has had to work pretty hard to get that recognition. It certainly wouldn't hurt to go check it out. Good luck, and don't give up!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 273 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views