Ulcer time....venting

Dorkgirl_41
on 10/22/13 1:18 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

So I've been having issues the past couple weeks, which ended up taking me to the ER today. Long story short, I have developed an ulcer at the anastomosis. Alrighty then.

I have not taken Nsaids since long before surgery. I don't smoke. I don't drink alcohol, soda or caffeinated drinks. The MDs all say that sometimes it just happens after bypass. I guess I'm having a hard time grasping that it "can just happen". I mean, what exactly about the bypass would cause the new pouch --the pouch I'm treating pretty damn good, I might add---to get so pissed off to ulcerate? Anyone have thoughts on this?

I know that I am one of the lucky ones who have not had big issues come up since surgery and I am beyond grateful for that! But I'm miffed that I've been doing most everything the way I'm supposed to but I get a damn ulcer anyway.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

TurnThePage
on 10/22/13 1:46 pm

Sorry for your pain, but I think you have to file this one under "Life is not fair".  Body chemistry is very complex. One of the most healthful people I've ever met has just spent 3 years battling lymphoma. Stuff just happens.

Could it be due to H. Pylori? Years ago I had several rounds of ulcers and then it became fashionable for doctors to prescribe antibiotics for ulcers. One round of meds and no more ulcers in 25+ years.  I hope you will be fortunate to find an easy answer and are soon feeling much better. 

Dorkgirl_41
on 10/23/13 9:24 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

You know, he didn't mention checking for H. Pylori. I think I'll send him an email and ask about it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

PetHairMagnet
on 10/25/13 7:03 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM Pacific Time, TurnThePage wrote:

Sorry for your pain, but I think you have to file this one under "Life is not fair".  Body chemistry is very complex. One of the most healthful people I've ever met has just spent 3 years battling lymphoma. Stuff just happens.

Could it be due to H. Pylori? Years ago I had several rounds of ulcers and then it became fashionable for doctors to prescribe antibiotics for ulcers. One round of meds and no more ulcers in 25+ years.  I hope you will be fortunate to find an easy answer and are soon feeling much better. 

I would check into this, too! I think this is something doctors forget at times. 

HUGS to you! Sorry you drew the ulcer card!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

apurdie
on 10/22/13 2:28 pm - CA

Have you been good about taking your proton pump inhibitor?  Has the MD said anything about treating ulcer with librax and the inhibitor?  It worked for me,  good luck. It will heal and so will you!

Dorkgirl_41
on 10/23/13 9:26 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I was on famotidine faithfully, but they took me off it yesterday and started me on omeprazole and carafate. We will see what happens!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 223 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views