Anti-Inflammatory Question

ebtiger24
on 10/29/13 11:32 pm - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I am having a recurring case of plantar fasciitis in my foot. I know I cannot take NSAIDS. Are there any anti-inflammatory prescription drugs I can take orally? I'm going to call the surgeon as well to double check, but I wanted to see if anybody else has been dealing with something like this. My podiatrist is treating it with cortisone shots in my heel, which is pretty painful. He is reluctant to give me anything for long-term treatment because of the surgery.

chulbert
on 10/30/13 12:00 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My primary physician prescribed a quick course of prednisone and Percocet for my plantar fasciitis when pain was at its peak.

(Alliteration for the win!)

I believe research shows that anti-inflammatory drugs have at best a limited effect on plantar fasciitis anyway.  Get good shoes, do your stretches and just wait it out.  When I eventually saw a podiatrist he explained it just takes time - 10-12 weeks on average.

blopez579
on 10/30/13 12:06 am
RNY on 09/11/13

lol~ love the alliteration....

blopez579
on 10/30/13 12:04 am
RNY on 09/11/13

I know what you are going through.  I hurt so bad that I was crawling around the house rather than walk.  sooo painful.  And the shots!  OUCH!! the second round of shots I had, the poor doctor, I kept pulling my foot away just as the needle got close to my heel. lol!   I'm not needle shy, but I sure knew what was coming....

Have you been to this website? (http://heelspurs.com/index.html)  I found the advice there very helpful.  Here's what helped me the most:

Take ice packs to bed with you at night, and ice your feet.  But never never walk after icing!! The ice helps inflammation and pain, but the tendon needs to be warm and limber to walk on.

Every time you have been sitting, warm up your feet before walking or standing.  Wiggle your toes, point and stretch for a minute or two. make sure the tendons are warmed up as much as possible. 

Never, ever walk without your orthotics in your shoes. Especially first thing in the morning. Even to go to the bathroom at night.  wiggle and stretch, wiggle and stretch first.

Spend a lot of time massaging your calves, as the tendon is attached to the calf muscle, and usually that needs loosening also.

I went to a chiropractor, and they helped with the massaging, and some kind of ultrasound or electronic treatment too.  All put together, it finally went away, but took a long time.

~Even now, I sometimes get twinges, and that's when I start stretching, massaging and warming up my feet at my desk.  It keeps it at bay, if you catch it early enough. 

NSAIDS are out, and that sucks.  I hope they find you something that helps with the pain till all the physical treatment things start working.  

poet_kelly
on 10/30/13 12:24 am - OH

Steroids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/30/13 1:10 am

acupuncture. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics