Reactive hypoglycemia---I'm getting tired of your *&%#

Amy D.
on 11/5/13 10:39 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Seriously. I am a year and a half post RNY and the RH is getting worse. Is this fairly typical? I seem to remember reading at one point that RH gets worse or more prominent the further out you get.

What is most frustrating to me is that previously safe foods are suddenly turning into "no" foods.

Today I have had coffee and a protein shake. I added about 1/3 of a banana to my shake. Bananas were previously just fine and dandy so I figured I had no reason to worry. Wrong! Here I sit in low blood sugar hell, shaking and feeling anxious when I really need to be on my morning jog.

Grrrr!!!

Please, commiserate with me and tell me what you all do to avoid this. Am I seriously going to have to avoid all forms of carbs? Even my beloved Quest bars are starting to turn on me.

I guess it's gonna be nothing but animal protein before too much longer.

And yes....it's still better than being morbidly obese!!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
PetHairMagnet
on 11/5/13 11:07 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

No help or advice, but wanted to say that your title made me laugh! :)

Hope you find an answer. I would be SO bummed if I could not have Quest bars...they are ALWAYS in my purse and keep me on the straight and narrow!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Dee.spunk
on 11/5/13 11:40 pm - Sacramento, CA
It got worse for me too. I do avoid most carbs though. Or, if I'm gonna have any, it's always accompanied with some protein like cheese. Bananas for me just make me feel sick cause of the sugars I think. I can usually eat a 1/3 of one before I start feeling sick. Someone have me a list of things to avoid that helped a lot. I'll see if I can dig it up...

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Dee.spunk
on 11/5/13 11:44 pm - Sacramento, CA
Okay, so I couldn't find it. Thought it was in my phone, but it's probably in my work computer. Anyways, I believe it was Multi Mom who sent it to me. She helped out a bunch. Maybe she'll answer to this.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Grim_Traveller
on 11/5/13 11:51 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Animal protein is your friend. Think of it as a positive step. Walk toward the light....

Most people avoid RH by avoiding high carb meals, and by having protein first. Try the protein shake first, and follow in a bit with the banana? And there are some people that have issues with Quest bars, although I love them. It appears to be the fiber they use affects some people as a straight carb, but there is no consensus.

I have my own faults, particularly not eating all the veggies, particularly green leafy things, but animal protein is not one of them. Most days I get over 200 grams of protein in.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cajungirl
on 11/6/13 12:41 am

I'm one that can't eat Quest bars, they make me feel awful.  The ingredients and nutritional info would normally be fine for me, just not with the Quest bars (and I've tried several).

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

cajungirl
on 11/6/13 12:39 am

Amy, how often are you eating?  Be sure all of your meals and snacks include a protein with fat in addition to carbs (preferably complex carbs).  I rarely have issues with my sugar dropping and when I do it is totally my fault for making the choice I did.

Some of us do experience it more than others, but most can manage it with food choices....yes it may take more stringent food choice decisions.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Miss Liss
on 11/6/13 12:53 am

For me, the farther out I got, liquid protein just didn't keep the blood sugars from crashing.  I can't do protein shakes.  Animal protein works best for me as far as keeping the blood sugars stable.  I had not had an episode of RH in forever until last week.  I had to travel for work and was on the go quite alot so I tried to get by with shakes and bars.  Big mistake.  Had a horrible episode of RH that knocked me on my butt.  For the rest of the trip, I stuck with what I know works which is mostly lean meats, veggies, and nuts.  I can eat fruit occasionally as long as it is paired with a dense protein. 

BugdocMom
on 11/6/13 12:56 am - CA

If you are having trouble controlling the RH with diet, I'd recommend you schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss it or get a referral to an endocrinologist who can assess it.

Bariatric surgeons are just becoming aware of a major complication that happens to long-term folks recently named hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia. It happens when the pancreatic cells actually change and begin to pump a lot more insulin into the body than should be. Sometimes the condition can become uncontrollable and a portion of the pancreas must be removed.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/6/13 1:08 am

I deal with that. Severe RH.. 

Banana - are no go... adding to protein shakes make them worse.  the shakes. 

Just whey protein shakes on milk or water - gives me RH - (yea - there is study that show that we produces insulin as a response to whey isolate and other forms of whey - even if they are no sugar at all.. i.e. pure whey isolate).  

Adding just enough fat - 2-4 gr per 25 gr of whey proteins makes a huge difference. 

Quest bars - I dump on them and they do make my sugar rise and then Drop like crazy..  - some people are sensitive - I don't believe it is "fiber" as they say it is.. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4533686/XP-Quest-bars- to-good-to-be-true-For-me-they-are/#37570398

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/03/03/high-fiber-foods-a nd-blood-sugar-quest-protein-bar-interview/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 191 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics