Confused on Target's Sizing

Dorkgirl_41
on 11/10/13 12:25 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I needed a  smaller size yoga pant for exercising but couldn't find what I needed at Goodwill. (Goodwill is my friend right now! lol) Keep in mind I started this journey in a 30/32. I went to Target, tried on a pair of the plus size 2 pants and it was too big. Yay! Tried on a pair of the 1's and holy crap, they were too big, too! I was completely dumbfounded. I stood there in the dressing room wondering, "Well what the hell do I do now?!" I thought there is no way I can fit into a "regular size" pair. I can't remember the last time I was able to buy clothing in the regular sizes, probably before age 12. Anyway, I got a pair of the Champion brand XXL. They fit. What? I'm so confused. I'm in a size 24 jeans but these yoga pants claim to be the equivalent to an 18. Mind you, I'm happy as can be! But confused on what size I really am. Anyone else have this issue with sizing, especially at Target?

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

Danimar
on 11/10/13 12:45 pm - San Antonio, TX

Sizewise, I'm somewhat similar to where you are, but I'm larger on top than I am on the bottom. I started out in a 32/34 on top, and a 28 on bottom.  Now, I'm mostly a 24 on bottom and a 26/28 on top.  I'm about 2 months out.  In any case, when I say "mostly,"  that's pretty much what I mean.  My experience is that stores that are designed for plus size women tend to be a bit more generous in most of their sizing, while the lower cost stores that are regular stores with a small plus size department (Target, Walmart, Cato)  tend to run a bit smaller.  This means, that right now, I have pants sized from 22 to 26 that still fit me, depending on where I bought them and what material they're made out of.  I just accept this as norm and make sure I try things on.  At this point, I'll say that even the smaller 26 pants are getting too big, so I pretty much stick to 22/24 for now... but, in something stretchy like a yoga pant, I can do 2x as well.  I actually have some knit capri pants from Walmart that are 2x - I use them for working out.

I haven't been back into nicer department stores with plus sizes just yet (Dillard's, Macy's, etc) because I'm still at the top sizes of those stores and it's still early, but I'll be interested to see how I fall in those places too.  Basically, size is pretty relative.  I look at brands to get an idea of what size I am in various brands/stores so I can shop better the next time around, and I just consider this to be pretty normal.  Congrats on the 2x yoga pants though!!   It's an awesome feeling to be in a smaller size!!

HW (395) - I lost some before starting my process.  SW (375) Surgery Date (350)  CW (307)

Dorkgirl_41
on 11/10/13 1:03 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it definitely feels good to be in a smaller size! I need to remember what you said......that different stores/brands may be different sizes in the same number size. It will be fun to experiment and try different brands on, but I want to wait to buy anything new as much as possible until I'm in maintenance. Thanks for the advice!

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

PetHairMagnet
on 11/10/13 8:57 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Not sure by what you mean when you say yoga pants, since I've seen people in many different bottoms and refer to them that way. I consider the close fitting, smooth fabric, low waist pants to be yoga pants. I will say that the label for those is very vexing until I started paying better attention. I found my running pants from C9 were marked 'fitted', 'comfort' and something else that escapes me. I could wear a L comfort but an XXL fitted. I now only buy the fitted because I really like the compression aspect when I run so my belly is not clapping in excitement as I go. ;) 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Dorkgirl_41
on 11/10/13 10:27 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

LOL! So that's why my body is making all that noise. kiss

Those are the ones I mean. The fitted compression like pants with the roll down waist. Thanks for the reply. 

LadyAnastacia
on 11/10/13 9:10 pm
RNY on 11/06/12

US women's clothes are so frustrating!  Vanity sizing in the US is such a pain!  

Over the past 20 years clothes manufacturers who sell "US sizes" have decreased the size on the label by at least two sizes while keeping the measurements the same.  Size 16's that I had 20 years ago have the same measurements as a size 10 or 12 bought today.  Some manufacturers have taken it to an extreme.  

NYDJ's (Not Your Daughters Jeans) sell a size 4 with the same measurements as a size 8 in most stores today, and the same measurements as a size 12 I had in my closet from 20 years ago.  They pander to the desire to see a smaller size on the label.  If you want to feel good about the label, those are the pants to buy.!  :)

It gets so frustrating to buy clothes in the US since most manufacturers take such liberties.  I got so frustrated with size inconsistencies that I started buying clothes from Europe where they don't have vanity sizing.  I wear a size 0 jeans in the US, but a size 6 in european jeans.  In Europe a size 12 starts the plus size range, so I am just in the middle of the regular women's sizes there.

Another problem you'll find over the next few months is that many women's catalogues have nothing smaller than a size 6.  It's just as frustrating at a smaller size to open a catalogue, see something cute, then realize they do not have your size.  

Dorkgirl_41
on 11/10/13 10:30 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I never thought I'd be small enough to worry about vanity sizing when I was a size 30/32. I'll being paying attention from now on. Thanks!

brenlee1965
on 11/10/13 10:00 pm - New Berlin, NY
First of all....CONGRATS on your weight loss!!! I haven't really gone shopping for anything new since my surgery. My sister and girlfriend have given me a TON of clothes (that I never thought I would FIT in)....I go to thrifty shops to try on different size clothes....I can wear MED/LG shirts now (wooooohooooo) and I was the same size as you said you began your journey. I am a year out now and have lost 150lbs, so far. I really am OK if I don't lose more. But if I do....BONUS! All stores sizes differ. Target I think tends to run smaller than the size, though.
Dorkgirl_41
on 11/10/13 10:35 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Thank you and congrats right back at you! I have a couple friends who have kept me in scrubs for work and I'm so thankful! I'm finding out the size issue is the same in scrubs....depending on what brand and what cut, I may be a 2x or a 3x. Frustrating. But it's a good problem to have. Beats not being able to buy clothes that are big enough!

AnchorsAweigh
on 11/11/13 7:58 am

I, too, find the variation in sizing to be frustrating. At Kohl's I wear a small shirt. At Target I need a large. I mostly wear size 10 for pants, yet I have one pair of size 16's that are tight. I try to stick with a few brands so I don't have to try stuff on every time I'm in the store. I also try to buy the ones where I need a smaller size! :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics