Chewing Gum After Surgery

jefferytmc
on 11/11/13 1:07 am

I am a gum chewer, it keeps my mouth busy and well freshens my breath.

It also helps keep my mouth moist.

So, my wife going through her pre-op said that gum chewing is not allowed post-op.

Is that the standard or is this more of a rule that my particular surgeon has?

Have others chewed gum after and had any issues?

BTW, it is Trident sugar free gum.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

PetHairMagnet
on 11/11/13 1:21 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My surgeon recommends gum, lol! It is on his list of things to bring to the hospital.

Why on earth gum would not be allowed, I cannot imagine. Yes, it does say SF only on the list, but I figure anyone would be smart enough to know that. But gum as a rule, disallowed? Have not heard that one!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cajungirl
on 11/11/13 1:54 am, edited 11/11/13 1:55 am

Some surgeons say no gum because if you swallow it especially early out and blocks the stoma then it'll require surgery to retrieve.  Of course, I understood that reasoning, I don't swallow gum though.  Kids yes, adults I guess it's possible but why would anyone do that.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 2:23 am - OH

Why would it require surgery to retrieve it?  Couldn't they just do an endoscopy and go down the throat and get it, like they do to dilate a stricture?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 11/11/13 2:39 am

You are probably right an endoscopy should/could work and I should have mentioned both. The way I understand sometimes with a scope it just doesn't all come loose when stuck.  I recall years ago on here (I'd have to search) it mentioned the endoscope can't always remove the blockage.

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 2:41 am, edited 11/11/13 2:41 am - OH

Hmm.  I supposed that's possible but I think it would be pretty unusual.  I recall seeing a number of posts on here where people accidentally swallowed gum but I don't recall any of them even needed an endoscopy to remove it.  It seems that most of the time, at least, it does not get stuck.

ETA: I'm not advocating swallowing gum, though.  It's not meant to be swallowed, whether you had WLS or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gtrdyfor50
on 11/11/13 1:24 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Gum is a no-no on my surgeon's list. I am not sure why, I have not asked as I am not a gum chewer.

dessalves
on 11/11/13 1:27 am

My surgeon allowed gum after almost 4 months...but he did!! Finally!!

jefferytmc
on 11/11/13 1:31 am

My wife said they told her due to swallowing air.

But I am an expert gum chewer and I do not swallow air.  ;)

I am pretty sure that is one I will "test" on my own.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

cajungirl
on 11/11/13 1:54 am

Some surgeons say no, they don't want you to swallow the gum and it get stuck.  My surgeon allows gum.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 353 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 220 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views