Trouble digesting everything!

JackJo
on 11/13/13 5:10 am
RNY on 10/24/13

Hey all. I had RNY on 10/24/13. I'm on phase 3 (soft foods) but I can barely tolerate phase 2 foods yet. Eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese. They all just sit and gurgle and make me uncomfortable for about 30 minutes until they digest. Meanwhile my stomach sounds like the soundtrack for Jurassic Park the whole time. I work with the public, it's a little embarrassing lol.

I eat slow, I take small bites. I don't know what is happening. Is this normal? Will it ever go away?

Thanks for any input.

trixie66
on 11/13/13 5:16 am

LOL!  I have the same problem.  The only thing that normally doesnt bother me is chili.  I know that sounds weird, but it is chili.  I thought my problem was that I was eating to fast, but now I wonder.  I had my surgery 10/8, so we are very close to the same date.  I do know that taking a gasx helps for me.

Good luck!

Dee.spunk
on 11/13/13 5:29 am - Sacramento, CA
I all that conversation! Actually it's pretty common fir your pouch to make a lot of noises. Some people grow out of it. Others don't, and you eventually get used to it. As long as it's not causing pain it should be fine.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

cajungirl
on 11/13/13 5:53 am, edited 11/13/13 5:54 am

Those noises are pretty common.  I've seen people name their pouches and the noises as you did.  It's actually your intestines making the noise not the pouch. 

Just keep eating slow and take it easy, it gets better.  The noises for most of us go away or become fewer and far between.  It'll still happen to me sometimes but not nearly like it did early out.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

PetHairMagnet
on 11/13/13 8:45 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Eggs can be VERY hard to tolerate. I am 6 months out and still have a hard time with certain foods. The sounds are still consistent for my husband, 13 months out. We still play it off like we need to eat and just say 'growly tummy!' 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/13/13 9:26 am - OH

Yep, some people have a lot of trouble with eggs (and some have only problems with the eggs cooked certain ways).  Some people also become lactose intolerant after RNY, so that may be why the cottage cheese isn't sitting well (but the yogurt shouldn't be an issue, especially since it is a slider food and will have slid out of your pouch long before 30 minutes passes).  

I would suggest avoiding the foods that bother you and focus on the ones that don't.  I was on soft foods on Day Three after surgery, and had no problem with anything I tried, but sometimes people get finicky pouches when they have been "babied" with just liquids for a while.  Just eat what you can and then you can go back and try the eggs, etc. in a few weeks.

Yes, the noises are normal.  The noise level will p down, but for some people the noise is "permanent".  Certain foods may cause much more noise than others.  For me, simple carbs start the intestinal music.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 470 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 384 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 330 views