Knee Pain AFTER losing 100 lbs

sarah_durso
on 11/18/13 8:59 pm

I had virtually no pains in my knees when I went for surgery in July. Never had knee pain in this knee.   A week ago I started getting knee pain, after losing 105 lbs.  It's a throbbing, aching feeling .  I didn't fall , twist it anything.  Just started hurting one day.  Has anyone else lost a large amount of weight and then started having pains ? 

meeshelle
on 11/18/13 9:20 pm
RNY on 03/04/13

i did. I developed bursitis in my hip which everyone thought was sciatica. got a cortisone shot for that. then went back with knee pain which i had too but the focus was on the hip. I got a shot in my knee then too which seems to have helped a great deal. They contributed it to being alot more active now with all the exercising i have been doing in the last few months. i was down 120 lbs when it started happening. They did do an x-ray which showed some arthritis.

hope it gets better for you good luck

Visit my blog as I travel this new developing road. :)

http://iveweightedalongtimeforthis.blogspot.com/

Mo Diggity
on 11/18/13 10:25 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Are you doing a lot more exercise now than before ? Or maybe it's just ironic that it's happening now ?? Like, it was gonna happen anyway at this point in life, but it would've been MUCH worse if you still had the 105 lbs on top of it !!! It could be the years of extra weight affected the knee, but it just took some time for the pain to start. But I'd ask a doc if it keeps up

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

Nikke2003
on 11/18/13 11:29 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I'm not having knee pain, but I am having back pains. Prior to surgery, the lower back pain was intense when I would stand/walk... clearly because of the weight I was carrying around all the time. BUT, the pain I have now is a soreness/stiffness all over - I kind of feel it in the hips too. My surgeon's office told me that it's a common complaint and could be a combination of things: the body is readjusting to the lose of weight, loss of muscle during weight loss to support the spine, sitting and laying down with less padding on the butt and hips.... I think a chiropractor is in my future.

It's quite possible that you are much more active now... even just in general throughout the day and so your knees are feeling it? That would be my guess!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/19/13 1:16 am - OH

Ditto what Maureen said. 

According to my ortho surgeon, arthritis pain can come on very suddenly under a number of cir****tances.  If you have been walking with very little cartilage and no pain, but suddenly develop a bone spur or lose that thin layer of cartilage and are now bone on bone, the pain can come on suddenly.

Another possibility is that it is temporary pain from a change in your gait as you are losing the weight.  It changes as we gain weight and then changes again as we lose it, and many people have temporary pain in their hips (and, less frequently, their knees) as the body readjusts. If this is the case, it may fade as suddenly as it appeared.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views