Where did I go wrong? How do I get back?

Sunshine73
on 11/22/13 1:51 am, edited 11/22/13 1:51 am - Bolingbrook, IL

Ok do ..im 4yrs out and now i am having all sorts of issues.. my vit d is low, my RBC, my protein, my iron, but my b12 is 1500>. I have been dealing with a lot of stress, of the 90 something i lost.. i have gained back about 40. I had my gallbladder removed during WLS, had a partial hysto that I had to get a blood transfusion for. 

So now apparently the dumping syndrome carries some consequences, and the WLS in general.. I now have low sugar(Reverse Hypoglycemia) and it is wreaking havoc on my body. I can't have what seems to be the slightest bit of sugar or I will blackout/ go into a 30min coma.. after dumping(yes I still dump after 4 yrs) I get sleepy, but even more than I did when I was fresh post op. 

I have to figure things out on my own and with suggestions from others that have had this experience until can get insurance to see a dr on a regular basis again for my issues.  My thought is to go back to my first 12 weeks of post op.. but do you know how hard that is to just quit things cold turkey... uuugh.. totally in a frenzy.. 

any ideas?

I am GODS child, but still the Devils favorite!!!!  
Ocalasam
on 11/22/13 1:57 am, edited 11/22/13 2:52 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Ok do ..im 4yrs out and now i am having all sorts of issues.. my vit d is low, my RBC, my protein, my iron, but my b12 is 1500>. I have been dealing with a lot of stress, of the 90 something i lost.. i have gained back about 40. I had my gallbladder removed during WLS, had a partial hysto that I had to get a blood transfusion for. 

So now apparently the dumping syndrome carries some consequences, and the WLS in general.. I now have low sugar(Reverse Hypoglycemia) and it is wreaking havoc on my body. I can't have what seems to be the slightest bit of sugar or I will blackout/ go into a 30min coma.. after dumping(yes I still dump after 4 yrs) I get sleepy, but even more than I did when I was fresh post op. my body is rejecting a lot of the vits I could take before. 

I have to figure things out on my own and with suggestions from others that have had this experience until can get insurance to see a dr on a regular basis again for my issues.  My thought is to go back to my first 12 weeks of post op.. but do you know how hard that is to just quit things cold turkey... uuugh.. totally in a frenzy.. 

any ideas?

MrsLitch
on 11/22/13 3:30 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
PetHairMagnet
on 11/22/13 2:21 am
RNY on 05/13/13

No advice, but hugs. I hear your frustration and pray that your stressors are reduced and that you are able to have the medical care you need sooner rather than later!

If you have a FastMed they now have a non-urgent doctor program where you pay, I think, 35$ to enroll and then you can see them 1x or 2x a month for something like 55$. Now tests and things are beyond that...but my copay is 40 so to be without insurance and paying just 15 more would be something I'd do! I had to take my son to them for an Urgent Care visit recently and saw the poster, but did not inquire or ask anything beyond what I just shared with you. But that is a thought for you!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Sunshine73
on 11/22/13 2:53 am - Bolingbrook, IL
On November 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:

No advice, but hugs. I hear your frustration and pray that your stressors are reduced and that you are able to have the medical care you need sooner rather than later!

If you have a FastMed they now have a non-urgent doctor program where you pay, I think, 35$ to enroll and then you can see them 1x or 2x a month for something like 55$. Now tests and things are beyond that...but my copay is 40 so to be without insurance and paying just 15 more would be something I'd do! I had to take my son to them for an Urgent Care visit recently and saw the poster, but did not inquire or ask anything beyond what I just shared with you. But that is a thought for you!

awesome. I will look into this today..

Laura in Texas
on 11/22/13 2:36 am

Stop making excuses and do what you know you need to do before you gain it all back plus more. Or you suffer a permanent disability due to not taking your supplements.

It is hard work, but this is what you signed up for when you had surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sunshine73
on 11/22/13 2:56 am - Bolingbrook, IL
On November 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM Pacific Time, Laura8603 wrote:

Stop making excuses and do what you know you need to do before you gain it all back plus more. Or you suffer a permanent disability due to not taking your supplements.

It is hard work, but this is what you signed up for when you had surgery.

Im sorry .. love.. but I really take offense to that.. "Making excuses" I am not making excuses.. I am stating what is and has happened to me. I went from an 18 to a 6 now im back at a 10.. do you think really that I would have done all that hard work to be right back where I am.. HELL NO!!!!!!

I didnt has to get laid off my job and not have the opportunity to go back for follow up visits to my dr. I didnt has that my fiance get brain and heart issues and that I am the only one taking care of him. i didnt ask that someone give me sympathy. So that statement  im making excuses.. shows me that you don't " GET IT"  If you read.. i said that that my body is rejecting MY VITS.. 

but thank you for your "encouragement"

Ashley C.
on 11/22/13 3:27 am - Birmingham, AL

Definitely look into the insurance option that was suggested. I would also look into homeopathic medicine. My mother had problems with vit absorption after breast cancer treatments and visiting a homeopathic center worked wonders for her (they can also be cheaper than medical doctors)...be sure and find a reputable center if you decide to look into it. I will keep you in my prayers...hang in there and don't give up. I applaud you for taking on the role of caregiver when you yourself are in need of TLC. I'm a firm believer that we grow as individuals and become stronger as human beings through the adversities we face and overcome.

netnay
on 11/22/13 12:06 pm
RNY on 03/27/13
She made a snarky remark like this on one of my posts too. Have you tried to call your surgeon to ask for advice? I seen where you said that you have no insurance. You could tell your surgeon this and if he says he needs to see you ask if they will work with you on paying your bill. I'm sorry you are having so many issues. I will be praying for you!!

'View

MrsLitch
on 11/22/13 3:31 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

What you describe doesn't sound like dumping, as that makes you violently ill and want to die for an hour vs wanting to sleep. Hypoglycemia and Reactive Hypoglycemia are two different things but I'm assuming you are referring to Reactive Hypoglycemia by your post. Google it online and look at mayo clinic, webmd or the like for good positive information. I had hypoglycemia for 20 years, RH for 2-3 before being diagnosed with diabetes just prior to surgery. Reactive Hypoglycemia can be controlled completely by diet, the same diet we are advised to be on post op, Protein forward. I have RH again now at about a year and a half out and I can control just as I did before surgery by limiting my carbs, which I should be doing anyway and only eating carbs if I have a good ratio or protein and fat with them. It helps to keep the blood sugar regulated.

Go back to basics, 60 grams of protein and 64 oz of water a day. Eat protein first at each meal, dense proteins will fill you quicker and keep you fuller longer. This will also help get your protein back up where it needs to be. You may find your body requires more than the 60g that doctors advise. I know people who need 90g and a man who needs at least 120g to keep protein levels in the healthy range.

What vitamins are you taking daily? and in what form? If you list them someone here can help to make sure you are taking what your body needs. Also you say low what are the numbers on those you are deficient in? That will help people advise where to start on the amounts of vitamins you need to take. The b12 isn't an issue being high your body will pee out what you don't need but maybe you can cut back on it? AGain a daily vitamin list will help.

As for the weight gain, your back to calories in vs calories out. you need to consume less than you burn to lose weight. Do you log your food? what are your daily numbers for calories? protein? carbs? fat?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 363 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404