Ulcer...Purees...5 yrs Post-op

Kari J.
on 11/23/13 5:16 am - Ankeny, IA

I haven't posted here for ages but knew I could get help here!

I am 5 yrs post-op and 22 weeks pregnant with twins. I had terrible morning sickness from weeks 5-15. About 2 months ago I started having pain just below my sternum that radiated right and into my back. My surgeon assumes ulcer due to vomiting and have been treated with Prilosec, Carafate, and Maalox with no relief. The pain only comes after eating and occasionally randomly during the night. They have ruled out gallbladder. I frequently have to take Percocet for pain control and then last night was my 2nd visit to the ER. It was the worst pain I have EVER experienced...and I have been through labor and I've had kidney stones 7 times. They are still standing by the ulcer diagnosis (can't confirm because they don't want to scope me while I'm pregnant). They also had me switch to liquids/purees only for now. 

My questions:

#1 It's been 5 yrs and I need some puréed food suggestions!

#2 Does anyone have experience with an ulcer and if so what helped it?

Thank you in advance!

Kari

Highest Wt 283
Wt at start of Pre-Op Diet 279
Surgery Day 268

"You have to take some chances, you have got to risk it all. You need to close your eyes and leap because it may be worth the fall." - author unknown

Sistaital
on 11/23/13 6:16 am

I have three ulcers, along with Prilosec and carafate, I take another acid reliver about twice daily when I eat, I eat nothing spicy, acidic, and I usually eat foods that are a little bland, no seasoning, only maybe a pinch of salt and pepper, if any at all. No citrus either.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/23/13 8:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, Kari J. wrote:

I am 5 yrs post-op and 22 weeks pregnant with twins. I had terrible morning sickness from weeks 5-15. About 2 months ago I started having pain just below my sternum that radiated right and into my back. My surgeon assumes ulcer due to vomiting and have been treated with Prilosec, Carafate, and Maalox with no relief. The pain only comes after eating and occasionally randomly during the night. They have ruled out gallbladder. I frequently have to take Percocet for pain control and then last night was my 2nd visit to the ER. It was the worst pain I have EVER experienced...and I have been through labor and I've had kidney stones 7 times. They are still standing by the ulcer diagnosis (can't confirm because they don't want to scope me while I'm pregnant). They also had me switch to liquids/purees only for now. 

My questions:

Thank you in advance!

I guess things have really changed, because when my sister in law broke her arm she was allowed Tylenol only during her pregnancy. No narcotics! Your OB is okay with you on 'frequent' Percocet?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Kari J.
on 11/23/13 10:04 am - Ankeny, IA
On November 23, 2013 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:
On November 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, Kari J. wrote:

My questions:

Thank you in advance!

I guess things have really changed, because when my sister in law broke her arm she was allowed Tylenol only during her pregnancy. No narcotics! Your OB is okay with you on 'frequent' Percocet?

If my OB was not okay with it I wouldn't be taking it. He is the one who prescribed it to try to avoid even more ER visits for pain. And by frequent I mean maybe 2x/week. I do not like taking meds while pregnant but sometimes it cannot be avoided. 

Kari

Highest Wt 283
Surgery Day 268

"You have to take some chances, you have got to risk it all. You need to close your eyes and leap because it may be worth the fall." - author unknown

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 11/23/13 1:30 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

My daughter had gallbladder issues while she was pregnant and had to take Percocet several times while pregnant.  She just gave birth to a beautiful, healthy, girl a few weeks ago.  Are they sure you aren't suffering from pancreatitis?  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Kari J.
on 11/24/13 1:04 am - Ankeny, IA

Yep...they ruled out gallbladder and pancreas. 

Kari

Highest Wt 283
Surgery Day 268

cajungirl
on 11/23/13 8:28 am

Google ulcer diet. You want to eat a bland diet as much as possible. Stay away from citrus or acidic foods (like tomatoes). 

Congrats on expecting twins. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/13 9:58 am

you can also try mylanta too.

illinois Gama D.
on 11/23/13 12:27 pm

Congrats on your doubles:) the diet was for me and personally I am sure some  will say " oh hell no," I cooked plain white rice in chicken stock, I used the long grain, I also tried the brown rice did ok with both, greek yogurt, regular low sugar yogurt, and a boat load of cottage cheese, theses were the only foods that calmed my pouch and I didn't "always"vomit" but I would google ulcer diet for more ideas, I couldn't eat spicy, pizza, it was all very bland, good luck, come back, let us know how you are, I am 10 years post, I don't remember the puree stage, use the search magnifying glass at top right:)

Rny 2003

come join the new R&R 3.0, where the fun is:)

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/13 10:19 pm

I would suspect hernia and twisted guts... Ulcer hurt me if I was eating or not eating.. But hernia was a ***** Pure and simple soft meals may be your best option...  Also - drinking with meals would help. 

One way i knew a had ulcer or not -I would drink something acidic (tomato juice) on empty pouch - not much - if I felt like knife stabbed - and wanted to die - I knew it is ulcer... Otherwise - probably​ gut related.

Some simple recipes: protein shakes, soups, semi liquid foods. 

I.e. homemade egg drop soup: chicken stock - get it hot, beat 2-3 eggs in a cup, pour slowly into hot stock, take off the  stove once it is start boiling again, cool down (I add 1-3 ice cubes if in a hurry) enjoy. 

Avoid any raw veggies, or any real fibrous foods. Ground meats, cooked well, (moist meatloaf) etc.  When i had twisted guts (it was either being hungry or in pain... Liquids and soft foods did not make me full - but I got nutrition)  also if you dealing with pain due to hernia - drinking liquids between meals helps the food to pass though the narrowing. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404