RNY scheduled for 1/15/2014

lmcintyre85
on 11/24/13 9:30 am
VSG on 01/15/14

Surgery is scheduled on January 15 2014 and I'm so so so scared. I went back and fourth between the sleeve and rny but always landed back to rny. They only worries I have is something scary coming up during or right after surgery. I have a 3 & 4 year old and a husband and am terrified to leave them. Is this a normal feeling??

alaskasusan
on 11/24/13 9:55 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

Absolutely normal, of course!  You are having major surgery but if you have done all the pre-op testing and prep you should be in good shape coming out of it. There is always a chance something could happen but it's not likely or none of us would have been able to go thru it.  Just remember why you decided to go this route and you'll be on the mend and on your way in no time.  I check in here a lot to keep my focus, so I encourage you to do the same.  Today was a milestone for me, as I hit the century mark. Never thought I'd be one of the ones who'd be successful but this really does work as long as you do what you're supposed to do.  Take care, and let us hear how you are doing!

Susan

PetHairMagnet
on 11/24/13 9:56 am
RNY on 05/13/13

However YOU are feeling is normal. Just because not everyone feels the same way doesn't mean it is not normal.

I did not have any fears, just excitement and anticipation. But I read a LOT of posts here where people are nervous or frightened and even some where people have backed out and then rescheduled.

Only you will know for sure if you are truly ready, willing and able to go through with it. For me, the opportunity to NOT be morbidly obese for the rest of my life overcame any fears I might have had about remaining morbidly obese and having a lot less 'rest of my life'.  I knew what it was like to be fat all my days and was excited about the idea and opportunity to NOT be fat forever.  Is it a magic bullet to solve all your issues? Not at all. In fact, I go to therapy pretty regularly to help me deal with a lot of the feelings I've had over the years that I tried to quiet by shoving food in me. 

My boys are older--one is out of college and one is going to college next year. I cannot even imagine what I would do to hop in the Way Back machine and have been able to NOT be the fattest mom in the room at school events. While my older son always embraced me (literally and figuratively) in front of his friends, I know it was a source of embarrassment for my younger son to have me be at things, especially by the time he hit middle school. Three and four? They won't really remember having a fat mom and what an amazing gift for THEM as well as yourself to live the rest of your life a slender, active mom!

Hugs to you!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Jen Lyn
on 11/24/13 10:03 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Their lives at school and among friends will be easier. I was in denial but when you are one of the fattest moms, your concerns are not taken seriously.  Also,  People make judgements about you and it limits invitations and opportunities. 

I have a middle schooler and she is the only reason I was scared.  That's part of being a mom.

lmcintyre85
on 11/24/13 1:50 pm
VSG on 01/15/14

Thank you guys for your responses! I want a healthier and longer life and know that this surgery is the tool I need to succeed. I guess I just need to get over my fears, with any surgery there is a risk and I just need to keep telling myself that!

Miss Liss
on 11/24/13 11:26 pm

The fear is absolutely normal.  I had surgery on 1/15/2004.  I will be celebrating my 10 year surgiversary on the day you have your surgery.  I will surely remember you with a prayer on that day.  I still remember the night before my surgery.  My husband and I had gone to Walmart to pick up some last minute things I was going to need.  We had our 2 year old with us.  I was feeling so nervous that I was nauseated and my tummy was hurting.  My 2 year old needed to go potty.  So, I took her.  Little thing was sitting on the potty, and it hit me that I was going to be sick.  I had to  grab her off the toilet really fast so I could get sick.  ROFL.  Mercy!  That was terrible, but I made it through my surgery fine and have been blessed with no complications since.  I pray your surgery will go smoothly and you will have a quick and easy recovery.  Good luck on your journey!   

lmcintyre85
on 11/26/13 3:17 am
VSG on 01/15/14

Omg, that completely sounds like something I would at Walmart. I can't wait for surgery I am anxious and just wi**** was here, but still nervous lol!

Ocalasam
on 11/25/13 12:03 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I think those feelings are totally normal.  I have had a 5 and 3 year old at the time of my surgery and I was so scared of something happening to me.  They need their mom.  They are my whole life.  Everything has been fine and we have a better life than ever.  After loosing 116 pounds, if feel like I can do so much more with them and be the role model I always wanted to be.  And it's true, people respect and listen to me a lot more now.  It's not fair, but it's true.

jamienichols22
on 11/25/13 5:56 am - MI

My surgery is scheduled for 12/16/13 and I have been so excited and then yesterday when I realized only 22 more days I got sick to my stomach. I have been having anxiety today and feels like heartburn. I have an 11 year old daughter which refuses to leave me at the hospital so I had to get her and the hubby a room since we live an hour from the hospital. My best advice is to take this time and get your home ready and get your things in order that you will be needing frequently afterwards. I got a table to set beside my recliner so I didn't have to stretch, moved my clothing to the living room closet so they would be easier to get too. But I the feelings are totally normal and they will be a rollercoaster sometimes but ALWAYS remember why you chose this process in the first place!!! 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

lmcintyre85
on 11/26/13 3:18 am
VSG on 01/15/14

That's so so soon! I hope that everything goes well for you. My nerves have calmed a little and now I am just anxious for the date!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics