OT choice of doctor

Katie K.
on 11/25/13 6:34 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Why on earth would someone see a gynecologist for general health and psychiatric care? Someone posted a comment and this is not a criticism of her, as I've known people personally who do this. I'm just wondering because I don't understand. 

poet_kelly
on 11/25/13 8:55 pm - OH

I think an even better question is why would a gynecologist be providing psychiatric care?  They should refer patients to a psychiatrist for that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bluesfan
on 11/25/13 9:57 pm - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

When I get a haircut, my barber provides my psychiatric care.  LOL   Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

PetHairMagnet
on 11/25/13 10:13 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

The only way I would do that is if they happened to be licensed as both. But otherwise, no way!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

pathchic
on 11/25/13 10:34 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

People are just very unfamiliar with medical training, at least in the US.  All physicians are exposed to these topics in medical school, but then they spend years of residency training, and years/decades of experience in a limited field.  No one could be expected to be competent in every aspect of health care, it is just too complex - that why we have so many specialties, and why everyone has to work in a team.  Hopefully, this person's GYN catches on to the fact that she is being held as the guru on topic for which she learned decades ago and information that is probably out of date - and advises the patient to seek appropriate care.

MrsLitch
on 11/25/13 11:38 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

It could be because their ins. doesn't cover psychiatric care so they have to deal with whatever doctor they go to. I'd have no issue with my gyn taking care of general health, I would with psychiatric care but I know many here in IL who are on medicaid and can't find a mental health clinic to take them and when they do go to the local mental health department they are faced with a 6-9 month wait list to even be seen to determine if they can be a patient. In that case if you have a history and a doctor who will prescribe in some cases life saving Rx for your mental illness I can see asking them for help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Katie K.
on 11/26/13 12:45 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Okay, that makes sense. One of the people I know didn't have insurance. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 300 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?