For those of us with ulcers. What do you eat?

mzlaura
on 12/5/13 10:56 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I have a marginal ulcer right now that's really bugging me still. I am eating lots of ice cream weigh****chers but still not good. I need to find something that goes now as well but a little bit healthier.. Right now lunch meat seems ok, greek yogurt, cottage cheese. These are the items i am pretty much living on. Even progressive soup with the meatballs filled me up way too quickly and i had a belly ache. I am able to do pure protein canned protein drinks as well. 35g protein per can. So i do believe i am able to still get in all my protein needs.. fluids not so much. I also can handle a whole atkins protein bar or 3/4 quest bar. Tea seems ok as well. Any sf flavor packets not so much. I am also doing a lot of G2 for fluid needs. Having bad constipation again as well. So i was just wondering for anyone else with an active ulcer what are you eating/drinking? Anything specifically your staying away from? I cannot understand  why i can have a cold protein shake/ice cream but cannot handle cold water weird.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

new_me180
on 12/5/13 11:52 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Well, I was unfortunate to have two marginal ulcers 3 weeks after RNY. It hurt like hell to the point I got dehydrated from not being able to drink while I had the ulcers. So the next day the doctor scoped me, kept me on clear liquids for 4 days and full liquids for 3 whilst I was in the hospital and the rest of the week after I got home until I was cleared to start regular food. He told me the best way to heal the ulcer is to drown it, literary. I was told to drink plenty of water and/or crystal light despite the pain and to stay away from thick drinks. Although they feel good and coat the tummy, the ulcer needs water to heal it. I'm in my second week of regular food and I can pretty much tolerate everything even the spicy stuff. I eat according to the guidelines the gave me and also try to take in as many fluids in between meals as much as possible. I know it hurts to drink water, maybe try it at different temperatures as this will make the ulcer heal faster. It;s a catch 22. It hurts when you drink water but, you need the water to heal it.

I still have pain whether I eat or not and I was wondering if the doc told you how long your ulcer will take to heal.. Hope you feel better soon.

cajungirl
on 12/5/13 10:08 pm
On December 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM Pacific Time, mzlaura wrote:

I have a marginal ulcer right now that's really bugging me still. I am eating lots of ice cream weigh****chers but still not good. I need to find something that goes now as well but a little bit healthier.. Right now lunch meat seems ok, greek yogurt, cottage cheese. These are the items i am pretty much living on. Even progressive soup with the meatballs filled me up way too quickly and i had a belly ache. I am able to do pure protein canned protein drinks as well. 35g protein per can. So i do believe i am able to still get in all my protein needs.. fluids not so much. I also can handle a whole atkins protein bar or 3/4 quest bar. Tea seems ok as well. Any sf flavor packets not so much. I am also doing a lot of G2 for fluid needs. Having bad constipation again as well. So i was just wondering for anyone else with an active ulcer what are you eating/drinking? Anything specifically your staying away from? I cannot understand  why i can have a cold protein shake/ice cream but cannot handle cold water weird.

Have you looked up ulcer diets?  Here are few links that may help:

University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/peptic-ulcer

http://www.symptomfind.com/nutrition-supplements/diet-for-st omach-ulcers-tips-on-what-to-eat/

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/13 10:35 pm

This is what I did : Very mild, warm not cold or hot liquids ... Warm teas - herbal tea, green tea. Noting spicy, nothing acidic.   Home made egg drop soup. (Chicken stock - mix eggs, slowly pour eggs in hot stock.  Let it could, or add some ice for faster cooling. Sip slowly. Warm protein drinks. Google ulcer diet. 

Some claim that juice from raw cabbage can help healing.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

blopez579
on 12/6/13 1:54 pm
RNY on 09/11/13
The egg drop soup sounds good...
blopez579
on 12/6/13 1:32 pm
RNY on 09/11/13
I had perforated ulcer repair surgery 10 days ago, and I'm still on purée diet. I have lentil soup, split pea soup, yogurt, protein shakes, smoothies, cottage cheese, and puréed whatever-meal-I-cook-for-family, if it is low carb.
vellpike
on 5/14/17 9:22 am - Clayton, NC

How did you know it was perforated?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 386 views