What could be causing my shaking?

mzlaura
on 12/10/13 4:34 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I have been noticing the last several months my hands tremble a lot. I don't know if it's stress related. Today i drank water and finally ate something around 5 pm or so i know bad! Anyway upon taking my meds and having a sip of water i my hands started shaking really badly. I was stressed too though. My job is being difficult and will not let me drink on the job even when they have a doctors note stating it's medically necessary. Even more so now with my ulcer. This happened before i started work though so i am wondering.. can stress cause hand trembling?

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

PetHairMagnet
on 12/10/13 4:39 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

No advice, just hugs! I cannot imagine not being allowed to drink at work! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

QoftheU
on 12/10/13 6:53 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
First off, I'd contact a lawyer - to my knowledge no employer can forbid you from drinking on the job. I suppose if you work in a place where they make high tech things or similar, but you should be able to drink from a bottle. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen if it adversely affects you.
Second, I too had trembling of my hands. It turned out to be a B-12 deficiency. I started getting shots everyday for a week, then once per week for 2 months, then once per month which I still do. Trembling is gone. I was so scared I had Parkinson's! So not sure if that's your problem, but I'd get some blood work done stat and see if that's the issue. I also went to a neurologist.
Good Luck!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 12/10/13 9:42 pm - OH

I don't think there is any law that says employers must allow you to drink while working.  I can think of several jobs in which that wouldn't be possible.  What about doctors or nurses working in an OR or similar environment?  You can't have food and drinks in the OR.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

QoftheU
on 12/11/13 8:14 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
An employee must have access to water - and if there is a medical necessity the employer must accommodate that access by either allowing it or moving the employee to a position where they CAN drink. Of course they can also fire you or you can quit! And yes, there are extenuating exemplary cir****tances - clean rooms, ER, etc. And since I don't know what your job entails, it's hard to know where the legal line is drawn. (Just got off the phone with my attorney brother since I am curious about this - of course we're in California so maybe things are different elsewhere).

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 12/11/13 8:23 am - OH

Hmm.  Maybe it is a state law?  I know federal law says they  must make "reasonable accommodations" if you have a disability, but having gastric bypass isn't a disability and having a medical need to drink a lot of water probably wouldn't be considered a disability either.  The definition of a disability in the federal law about accommodations (the ADA) says the condition must cause a significant impairment in one ore more major life activities, like seeing, hearing, walking, breathing, thinking, etc.  So under that law, they wouldn't have to accommodate you.

Laws do vary from state to state, though.

I wouldn't think they could prevent you from drinking for a long time, but I think they probably could limit it to break times or something like that if the job was something like working in an OR where it really wouldn't be possible to have food or drinks.

As far as having to move you to another work area where you could have water, I would assume that would depend on the employer.  In terms of the ADA and accommodating disabilities, they have to do that if it is considered reasonable.  Is there another work area where it would be OK to have drinks?  Or are all the work areas the same? 

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 12/10/13 9:40 pm - OH

My guess would be dehydration or low blood sugar, if you are going all day without eating or drinking anything.

Do you have breaks at work when you can drink?  If you are not allowed to drink while working and don't have breaks, you might have to find another job.  That would be seriously bad for your health.

SteveWebb
on 12/10/13 11:35 pm - NC

I was also going to guess dehydration or low sugar.  When my sugar goes low I sweat, hands and legs shake and I feel like I'm losing my mind.  Not fun!! I would definately have blood work done and see if anything is out of whack.  Drink all you can.  Best wishes and Merry Christmas

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Day_dream_believer
on 12/11/13 3:02 am

My first guess would be low blood sugar especially since you didn't eat anything until 5 pm.

Are you on thyroid meds?  If so you might have your levels checked.  If you are taking too large of a dose than you may be a little hyperthyroid which might cause trembling. 

pasunshine06
on 12/11/13 2:24 pm - PA

I have tremors in my hands as well. This stemmed from being severely dehydrated and being deficient in many vitamins and minerals, Thiamine being the biggest one. I actually damaged my optic nerves in the process and now have neurological issues. Please take this seriously and speak to your doctor about this. Doctors state I was about 3 days from death. Please seek help.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 515 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 244 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views
Recent Topics