Suddenly having problems eating

solise
on 12/28/13 2:19 am - Brooklyn, NY

im almost 5 years out from my RNY and so far have done well...from almost 400 lbs to 182 lbs but suddenly ive developed problems eating regular cooked foods, my stomach cramps something horrible. I feel fine after eating unhealthy processed foods like canned soup. Anybody know whats going on here?

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 4:26 am - OH

I have no idea.  Maybe an ulcer, maybe a stricture, maybe a stomach virus, who knows?  If it's been happening for more than a few days, I'd go see your doctor.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kisersassy
on 12/28/13 7:38 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
I am 14 months post op. And had hiatal hernia repaired and a small internal hernia repaired 4 weeks ago. Now I am having issues with food too. I had 2 stricture repairs early post op and now this feels like that. I am hurting after eating anything dense. But all the slider foods are somewhat ok. Can you get a strictures this far out post op?
solise
on 12/28/13 7:49 am - Brooklyn, NY

Im not sure because Ive never had a stricture or hernia. Because I ate out I would like to believe that maybe there was some hidden sugar in the meal. I stuck to soup today and Im feeling slightly better.

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 7:51 am - OH

You can get strictures at any time.  They are just much more common in the first few months after surgery.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kisersassy
on 12/28/13 7:54 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
Did it make you sick like dumping? Or pain? I never dumped until after this last surgery and find I am starting to dump on anything sweet
solise
on 12/28/13 7:59 am - Brooklyn, NY

no, I was definatly cramping but I just dont know why or what caused it. It happened again this morning after having bacon and eggs for breakfast. Im starting to thing my body is just resisting certain foods. Theres nor eason that a small piece of pot roast and a few spoons of mashed potatoes shouldve made me sick like that

kisersassy
on 12/28/13 7:58 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
AHH!! ok thank you Kelly!! Because this is what it felt like when I first had my stricture 13 months ago. Then a month after that literally a year ago today I had the second stricture repaired. It hurts eating. I am starting to pop papaya enzymes like candy like I did before. I wonder if it has anything to do with my hernia repairs plus scar adhesion removals 4 weeks ago?
poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:07 am - OH

I don't know if it might be related to the hernia repair or not.  I'd give your surgeon a call Monday morning, though.  The thing with strictures, as you probably already know from experience, is that they generally get worse over time until you get it fixed.  It probably  won't get better by itself.  So it's good to deal with it, if in fact that's what it is, before it gets so bad you can't even keep liquids down.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 214 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics