Vitamins

mussit64
on 12/26/13 9:21 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

Had lab work done the other day and I was called from the nurse and said my potassium was low so they were calling me in something and wanted me to repeat lab work in two weeks.  So now my potassium is low, my B-1 is low, D2 is low.  Anybody with low potassium and what does that mean actually.. I read somewhere where the D2 that you get from a prescription isn't what I need to be taken is that correct... Its Vit D2 1.25 Mg (50,000 units)  says to take one capsule by mouth once a week.  I have been taking two a week .  The Vit B-1 is 100 mg Tablet and they have me taking it every day.  Potassium CL ER  is 10 MEQ Capsules and I take 2 a day ... Does this sound right... This is my primary doctor that is prescribing this and not my surgeon who preformed my surgery. I had RNY in April 2013.

Thanks for any help 

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/13 9:50 am

D2 is synthetic and is the prescription form. I like D3. Kelly knows a lot about our vitamin needs. I know she will be along to answer when she can. BTW, Kelly, where can you find the ASBMS guidelines> When I go to the site, I just can't find it. THANKS!

poet_kelly
on 12/26/13 10:01 am - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 12/26/13 9:59 am - OH

What is your vitamin D level?  Not your D2 level, but your total vitamin D?  The prescription is D2 and D3 is absorbed much better.  You don't need a script for that.  Also, the script is in oil and since RNY folks malabsorb fats, we do better with vitamins that aren't in oil.

Taking 50,000 D2 in oil once a week is not likely to do much to raise your vitamin D level.  Depending on how low your D is, you probably need 50,000 IU dry D3 at least a couple times a week, maybe daily for a while.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mussit64
on 12/26/13 10:19 am - Panama City , FL
RNY on 04/18/13

Kelly he didn't tell me...   I go back in a couple weeks, I will find out more then.   I will go ahead to vitalady and order what you are talking about.. Do they have them in capsule form... I have a hard time with the hard vitamins?  

poet_kelly
on 12/26/13 10:20 am - OH

Yes, it's a capsule.  Maybe you can call your doc's office tomorrow and ask what your D level was.  Because without knowing the level, you don't know how much D3 you need to take.

MrsLitch
on 12/26/13 11:54 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

If I'm reading your potassium script it's ER for Extended Release? if that's the case you won't get much benefit from the extended release with our rerouting. My doc prescribed a powder potassium that I'll be honest was the most horrible thing I think I've ever tasted but it will get the levels up pretty quick.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics