System for taking vitamins

solise
on 12/28/13 7:56 am - Brooklyn, NY

anyone have a system or schedule for taking vitamins that is working? i am terrible at taking my vitamins but I know if I dont get back on some kind of schedule, Im going to end up in the hospital. i just cant seem to remember which ones to take and when and which cant be taken with certain other ones

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:04 am - OH

This is what I think is easiest.

Breakfast - multi, calcium citrate, B12, D3

Lunch - calcium citrate

Dinner - multi, calcium citrate

Bedtime - iron, C

What you don't want to take together is iron and calcium.  Calcium blocks the absorption of iron.

Also, we can only absorb 500-600 mg calcium citrate at a time.  Doses need to be at least two hours apart.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

queenbmamafranks
on 12/28/13 8:17 am
RNY on 12/19/13

This looks much easier than what I do. I take the calcium citrate in between meals. I really don't need to because my multi does not have any iron in it. This would make life a little simpler.

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:20 am - OH

I found that for me, matching the vitamins up with meals really helps me remember to take them.  Because I do not forget to eat.

My current multi has some iron in it, but I don't care if my calcium citrate keeps me from absorbing that iron because I need more iron than that anyway so I take iron before bed.  I don't count on absorbing any of that iron in my multi.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

queenbmamafranks
on 12/28/13 8:32 am
RNY on 12/19/13

I was wondering if the vitamins would fill my pouch up before I are my meal.

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:33 am - OH

I don't know.  They probably won't stay in your pouch long, if you take them with water.  If they are all chewable and you don't drink with them, then they's stay in there longer.

queenbmamafranks
on 12/28/13 8:57 am
RNY on 12/19/13

I'm on chewable right now but as soon as I can I'm just taking pills. I take a probiotic. Where do you think that would fit in? This isn't required but recommended from my center.

queenbmamafranks
on 12/29/13 8:06 am
RNY on 12/19/13

I tried this schedule today and it was such a relief on my mind. I told my husband this was the most normal day I have had. Thank you for sharing. 

TattooMammaRN
on 12/28/13 8:21 am

I am at 9 1/2 weeks post op. I am also having trouble taking my vitamins.  My dietician told me to take them with food.  Well.......I can't eat often enough to get them all in.  I haven't taken my calcium with the multivitamin because it has iron in it.  I am suppose to be on 2 multivitamins, calcium 3 x a day and iron at night.  B12 3 x a week.  It seems like I should be getting at least 6 meals a day in, but I'm not.   Oh.......what to do!!!!

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:23 am - OH

If you start taking the calcium with your  multis, you can do something like the schedule above.  Take vitamins with breakfast, lunch and dinner and then the iron at bedtime (with a snack if you prefer).

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics