Pain for the rest of my life?

mzlaura
on 12/30/13 1:14 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I feel like that is what it is destined to be for me. I've had lots of issues along the way of my journey. I have a herniated disc on pain meds, i have an ulcer that is being stubborn and not going away, and now i have a UTI.... (urinary tract infection) I just found out about my UTI yesterday even though i have been systematic for over 3 weeks but ignored it due to everything else going on i just didn't want to deal with more issues and doctors appointments. Luckily as of now it hasn't gone to my kidneys. All though i've taken 2 of the 6 pills the antibiotic and i am still in pain so i am wondering by tomorrow if this still continues if it warrants an ER visit. Some lower abdominal pain as well but no fever and not much back pain. I'm also taking Azo which is supposed to help with the pain....  I feel like it's always something and i am just destined to be in pain forever or always be one of those people that have issue after issue. I really wish i could say i am making it all up but i am not. My belly hurts all around from the ulcer to the pain with the UTI. The nausea is overbearing right now too... and the antibiotic also making me sick to my stomach. Eh don't know what else to say.. all my friends and family keeps saying it has to stop eventually and get better right??? Usually when i always felt like i had a UTI in the past it was negative so i thought nothing of it this time.... it wasn't until i had burning so bad that i called a nurse on call and got an after hours appointment on Sunday. I am on Cipro now and it's disgusting ewww. I haven't had a UTI in years in fact i think the last time i had one was when i was pregnant in 2006.. crazy right???

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Newme661
on 12/30/13 1:18 pm

I have almost the same as you :(

dislocated disk, ulcer, heart burn, high blood pre and a uti oh and morbidly obese 

oh how could've I forgotten of the one I fear the most VERTIGO and some other stuff in top of all this.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/30/13 2:31 pm - OH

I am so sorry you are having to endure all of this, but your current situation, as complicated as it is, is really not something for the ER, especially since you have so many different issues.  The ER is for emergencies, not for UTIs that haven't responded immediately to antibiotics and ulcers that are not healing quickly. The ER's job is stabilize people who are medically unstable, admit them to the hospital if necessary, treat what they can while they determine if there is a medical emergency (and, if so, what it is), and then refer patients to their regular doctors/surgeons.  

You would be better off contacting the physician(s) you have already been working with, who know your full history and who have prescribed the meds you are currently on, for further care.  

Hopefully, you will be able to get all of these things behind you soon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 12/30/13 5:25 pm - OH

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.  I can really empathize - I've been dealing with severe back pain for a long  time now.

The UTI should clear up soon.  I know you've been dealing with this ulcer for a while now.  Hopefully it will get better soon.  The back issue is a bit more tricky, I think.  Hopefully it will get better, too.  But I would definitely think the UTI and ulcer should only be temporary things to deal with.

I wouldn't go to the ER unless you have an actual emergency.  Since you're already being treated for the UTI and the ulcer, I would just call the doc that is treating those and explain that you're still having pain.

I know UTI's can be horribly painful.  I had one a few months ago, the first one I'd had in probably 15 years, and I work up in the morning with it and couldn't get in to see my do****il the following day.  I was so miserable.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MickeyDee
on 12/30/13 6:21 pm

I am assured by a lady friend that there is an OTC product which can alleviate the pain on urination.  It is available on the shelf of any drugstore, contains pyridium, and has different names, but I've seen a package which is labeled

"Rite Aide

Feminine Care

Maximum Strength

Urinary Pain Relief"

It comes in a pale purple-colored box and she says it is reasonably priced.  I hope this helps, and I apologize for intruding.

cajungirl
on 12/30/13 8:27 pm

Why would you want to go to the ER for a known UTI and already being on antibiotics for only 2 of the required 6 days?    Surely you don't want to sit in the ER for 2-3 hours to be told yes you have a UTI follow up with your PCP in a couple of days if the antibiotic isn't clearing it up. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

mzlaura
on 12/31/13 12:06 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On December 31, 2013 at 4:27 AM Pacific Time, cajungirl wrote:

Why would you want to go to the ER for a known UTI and already being on antibiotics for only 2 of the required 6 days?    Surely you don't want to sit in the ER for 2-3 hours to be told yes you have a UTI follow up with your PCP in a couple of days if the antibiotic isn't clearing it up. 

I don't!! But because I've had it over 3 weeks and had some symptoms of a kidney infection as well I was told by the doctor if I am getting worse or still in pain/fever, chills, etc then I may need to go to the ER for IV antibiotics. I don't normally just run to the ER even though I am there a lot always for legitimate reasons. I will call the doctor back for sure though. Maybe I need a different antibiotic and I am already taking Azo which is the OTC pain reliever for the UTI. 

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/31/13 12:34 am - OH

Did he tell you to go to he ER If it wasn't better in just two days?  Most antibiotics don't work quite that quickly, but if that is what he told you to do, then do it... Don't ask non-medical people here what to do... do what your doctor told you to do.  If he didn't tell you to only give it two days, then give it more time or call his office and ask for additional guidance.  This is YOUR body and you need to be proactive about taking care of it. 

I'm not trying to sound mean, but next time please don't wait for three weeks before you see a doctor.  if you had seen someone the first week, a couple of days of antibiotics might have been enough to get you feeling better.  I know it is hard to know whether something really requires a doctor visit when it first starts, but three weeks is much too long to wait.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Miss Liss
on 12/30/13 10:56 pm

If you had symptoms of a UTI for three weeks before seeing a doctor about it, the infection is probably bad.  So, it will take some time to respond to antibiotics.  And if it is bad enough, you may need more than one round of medicine to clear it up.  UTI's are no fun at all.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and getting lots of rest.  Hope you feel better soon. 

KELLY R.
on 12/31/13 1:24 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12

You need to do your best to keep positive.  I too had many problems after surgery and didn't return to wor****il 3 months later (and still with a g-tube).  I also battled nausea on a 24 hour basis.  I cried every day thinking it was the worst decision I had ever made, but little by little things did get better.  I was on TPN for about 8 weeks, no food, no beverages, not even water.  I got all of my nutrition by an IV in my upper arm.  I had to set up a huge bag and was required to drag it around with me for 16 hours a day.  It was a true pain in the ass and I hated even getting off the couch each day (had to sleep here because I couldn't lay in bed).  I never thought I'd get better.  I started with an infection because I developed a leak and then that caused a fistula (a connection between my old stomach and the new pouch).  I was at the gastroenterologist swallowing all kinds of nasty gunk so often they knew me when I got there.  Just try to tell yourself that these problems will get better... just stay on top of your doctors and demand good care.  You are your own best advocate.  Best of luck to you!  And BTW... My surgery weight was 260 and my current weight is 195 and I'll be 2 yrs out come April so you're not the only one to lose slowly... don't get so down on yourself... less weight is still less weight. :)

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?