Resturants

MalloryM1989
on 1/12/14 3:48 am

Does anybody go out to eat?  Any problems going out to eat?  What places do you go and what places do you avoid?

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 9:05 am - OH

Sure, people go out to eat.  I don't have any problems going out to eat.  I like Chipotle and Panera a lot.  But I go other places, too - Subway, Taco Bell, Applebee's, Denny's, Pizza Hut, all sorts of places.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karin602
on 1/12/14 9:45 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I don't go out often but find the restaurants are good about ordering off kids menu. Portions are a bit more reasonable and I usually still take home enough for another meal. Friday I tried panera bread chili had half for lunch and half for dinner. I look up on the internet before going anywhere out and know my choices as well as any special instructions.

Karin

The Salty Hag
on 1/12/14 9:46 am, edited 1/12/14 9:47 am
RNY on 05/20/13

One of my favorite restaurants is Ruby Tuesday. They offer some great choices for proteins and veggies. My go-to is the turkey burger ( no bun of course ) with a side of the zucchini. Applebee's has great choices too. 

I avoid fast food places. For me, it's the best way to avoid evil, delicious french fries. 

As long as you stick to your food plan, you can probably find good choices at quite a few places. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ladytazz
on 1/12/14 10:04 am

My boyfriend likes to eat out on his day off so I've been going out to eat since my first week post op.  I figure that since I am the one who had surgery I don't need to keep him from eating what he wants so I let him choose where we go.  I have found that there isn't any place I can go where I can't find something to eat.  My eating is pretty liberal in that the only things I avoid is sugar and gluten.  Most places have gluten free menus, even Olive Garden, which I've never really cared for.  The most challenging food is Chinese because I don't have a clue what they put in it so I just ask for steamed chicken and veggies.

I order what I like and take home what I can't eat, usually resulting in at least one more meal.  He occasionally likes to go to a buffet and I just get a regular meal.  I just take a bite of whatever I want and try not to waste too much food.  I rarely ask for special treatment but once in a while I'll get a senior meal or a child's meal if they don't have an issue with that.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/12/14 10:46 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Firebirds, Sullivans, Flemings are some of our favorites. We ate at Firebirds on Friday night with friends.  My husband and I split an entree and a side. My husband had some salad, I did not. This coming Saturday we will be eating there with other friends and will be using the same strategy. I have always liked a la carte steakhouses, but even more now since I don't have to worry about any starchy or other non-desirable items automatically coming on my plate. We can split a 6 oz filet mignon 1/3 and 2/3 and be quite happy. :)

Panera is fabulous for lunch. They will tweak things, like no bread or croutons with the French onion soup. Places like Moe's, Salsaritas and Chipotle will make just about anything. I can get some shrimp, guacamole, lettuce and cheese and nothing else at lunch. I put some salsa verde on it and YUM!

All you have to do is figure out what you are hungry for, what they have that is close to that, ask them to adjust the item (I take things off, I do not add things typically) and then measure your portion out and enjoy it. I do NOT try and eyeball food. Each time I have done that and then measured, I was off enough that it would have been either shorting me protein or too many calories. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

barb.k
on 1/12/14 9:39 pm - Williamson, GA

Thanks for confirming my thought lately that I need to bring a scale out with me next time I am out. I am early out and keep a measuring cup (to measure volume) with me at all times. I usually weigh my left overs when I get home ( for example I count how many shrimp I ate, and the % that is left) and find that I under ate, I make sure that is a day that I have a lot of protein and not relying on that meal to make my protein goal. I think I would enjoy  my meal more if I wasn't guessing so much. I had Mexican the other night, fish burrito (minus the sauce). I ate 1/2 of the guts,and a few bites of the beans. When I measured the remaining fish there was 2 oz left. Anyone else carry a scale out?

barb.k

blopez579
on 1/12/14 10:07 pm
RNY on 09/11/13

Hey Pet,

How do you measure in a restaurant?  Now, that is dedication.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/13/14 2:17 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 13, 2014 at 6:07 AM Pacific Time, blopez579 wrote:

Hey Pet,

How do you measure in a restaurant?  Now, that is dedication.

I have it down to a science at this point, lol. I carry a battery operated scale and a set of plastic measuring cups. I always ask for a small plate (usually a bread plate) and put the portion I intend to eat on that, then I box up the rest of the meal immediately if I am not splitting with my husband. If I am splitting, we each put the food we intend to eat on our plates and box the rest. 

Then I cut my food up and fill the cup (right now I carry a 1/2 c for me and 1 c for my husband). Anything that did not fit goes in the box. And I don't pack it in, I just put it in there loosely. I then weigh the food and return it to our plates. I'm pretty amazed how few people I've ever observed noticing me doing this. 

Then I pop the cups back in the quart size baggie I carried them in with and that way it is clean in my handbag and I take them home for cleaning. If I am carrying a small bag, then I have a small tote I bring with me as well. 

And I'm very glad to not have unwanted calories OR be shorted on protein by eyeballing vs. true measuring. 

HTH! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

65rosesmom
on 1/12/14 10:50 am

After about month 3 I was able to go out to any place my family wanted.  I will usually check the menu ahead of time, do my research, so I make my choices when I'm home and not rushed.   

I never order kids menu stuff because so much of it is high carbs and fried stuff.   I will order salads with grilled chicken on it if I can't find anything else I want.   I love mexican, my son and I will split fajitas.  I just don't eat the wraps or rice.   

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 412 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 405 views