Soda

MalloryM1989
on 1/12/14 11:44 am

Can anybody tolerate regular soda? I know it's high in sugar and fat just curious if anybody can tolerate it?

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 11:55 am - OH

Soda is high in fat?  Are you sure?

I haven't tried regular soda.  I think it would be too much sugar for me. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Teri Turner
on 1/12/14 12:19 pm - WA
Hi, I'm still pre-surgery status, so I can't answer. Ive heard that many surgeons put a total ban on them.

Do you use full-sugar soft drinks now? Do you enjoy diet soft drinks?

Do you fear missing sodas really bad after the surgery? I think perhaps most of us have certain foods that seem impossible to leave behind.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/12/14 1:57 pm - OH

don't know of anyone who has dared to even try full sugar soda after RNY!  Although it has a lot of calories -- 140 in a can of Coca Cola, for example -- (but no fat), a single can of soda has enough sugar to make even "non-dumpers" dump!

I can eat up to half a cup of full fat, full sugar ice cream without getting sick (22g of sugar) and once (just once!) ate almost a whole Snickers bar without dumping, but a single can of Coke has 39g of sugar (almost double the sugar in the ice cream)!  Even a full size Snickers bar has only 26g of sugar.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

okay7
on 1/12/14 2:12 pm

as someone who drank approx 6 or more bottles of soda daily prior to my surgery, I had withdrawls for approx 2 weeks.. My drs and dieticians are very strict stating any carbonated drinks can be harmful, causing gas, bloating and slippage. I have coped very well with ice teas, coffee and flavored waters. Good luck.

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 8:18 pm - OH

What do you mean, slippage? What would slip?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dawnpsmith
on 1/12/14 3:42 pm

My dietician clearly told me never to have carbonated beverages because it can bloat, inflate and stretch the new pouch.  Why risk it after being so dedicated to having the procedure done?  Just my two cents...

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 8:19 pm - OH

It can't stretch the pouch.  Your dietician is misleading you.  I'm assuming she understands anatomy enough to know she's telling you something that is not true.

dawnpsmith
on 1/12/14 9:49 pm

I think better advice is to trust the trained professionals and our medical providers.  I haven't read any compelling advice for bariatric patient to drink carbonated beverages and many references to avoiding it.

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 9:51 pm - OH

I'm not saying there is a good reason to drink soda.  There is no good reason to eat or drink many of the things people choose to eat and drink.

I'm just saying that carbonated drinks cannot stretch the pouch.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 419 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 121 views
Recent Topics