Soda

dawnpsmith
on 1/12/14 10:06 pm

Carbonation floats, so unless you burp it ALL out, it is challenging for the air the leave the anatomy of the pouch through an opening at the bottom which can, in fact, trap air.  

Please don't tell people their medical professionals are misleading them - it causes more confusion than is helpful - no need to continue to respond, I just think you overstepped your bounds.  I am not a doctor either, just a medical scientist.

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 10:08 pm - OH

I think telling me not to respond and telling me what I should and should not post is overstepping your bounds.  If you don't like to read my responses, you are free to block me.  But this is a public forum and everyone is allowed to respond as they choose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dawnpsmith
on 1/12/14 10:34 pm

Completely agree. No hard feelings. 

Mary Catherine
on 1/12/14 10:55 pm, edited 1/12/14 10:56 pm

There has always been a feeling in the general population that people who become obese are just not as smart as those who stay slim.  Some doctors unconsciously or knowingly believe the same thing.  That is why they tell us things like not to drink for 30 minutes before eating.

They don't think a fat person is quite smart enough to remember that it is 30 minutes after eating, so if they say before and after then the low intelligence fat person does not have to remember that it is 30 minutes after.

The same with drinking carbonated beverages.  They are simply assuming that a person not smart enough to eat properly is not smart enough to understand that the pouch has two openings and cannot stretch from the bubbles of carbonation. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 12:48 am - OH

In this case, however, the medical professionals ARE misleading people when they are telling them that soda in their pouch can defy the Laws of Physics.  Some admit (to other surgeons) that they do it intentionally to scare their patients into compliance with their wish for them to give up soda.  Others just don't know that what they are telling patients isn't true (I wonder how many dieticians/nutritionists take college Physics classes?).

Yes, the carbonation must exit either back up through the esophagus or down into the intestine, BUT...

1) because of gravity, liquid flows through the pouch VERY quickly, so soda isn't in the pouch long enough for the carbonation to exert any pressure on the pouch

2) all gases and liquids follow the path of least resistance

3) even if it did stay in the pouch the way it does in the natural stomach, because there are TWO openings from the pouch, it is impossible for enough pressure to build up to cause the pouch to stretch.  The pouch is made from the least elastic part of the stomach and it requires a fair amount of pressure to cause it to expand even temporarily (which is why people usually vomit if they overeat... the food backs up toward the esophagus rather than stretching out the pouch because that is the path of least resistance).

Many people who drink soda after RNY allow it to sit for a while or pour it over ice to cut the carbonation a bit.

Lora

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Torchy616
on 1/13/14 2:13 am

Just had first consult last thurs. Dr. Answered most questions, but after reading posts here, I have a kazillion more. Gave me a binder with info, but still have things to discuss. Briefly talked about " dumping" .....your replies on several topics make me feel that I would like to pick your brain. Can you pm me so we can talk. 

I m waiting for ins. Ok. I have seen one dr. Before I made the appt., I contacted another and got some different info. Before I actually see dr #2 I have to attend seminar, no big deal.  #1says if I get all tests, nutrition,,physc, etc., done plus lose 5% of weight I can go adversely as end of February. I am a Medicare patient and it is covered, issue with co-insurance. This is my story will discuss rest privately. Oh put  on a low carb diet( been very successful in past with losing, just can't maintain) lost 2 lbs since thurs. 

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 9:55 pm - OH

I'll add that I think it's good when we can trust our medical providers.  But if my medical providers tell me ridiculous things that are simply physically impossible, well, that damages my trust in them. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

baepage
on 1/12/14 7:39 pm - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I would never even dare to have a regular soda, just looking at it makes me dump.  I don't drink any soda since surgery.

Barbara

Mary Catherine
on 1/12/14 8:06 pm

I find regular full sugar soda to taste just as good as before surgery and very easy to tolerate.  It does not make me dump or feel too full and it does not expand the pouch.

I only avoid it because of my fear of regaining my weight, but sometimes have had one.  I have learned at over six years out that my body can tolerate and enjoy almost any food or drink. 

That just makes it harder for me to stick to the things that I know will keep me at goal.  When others are drinking alcohol or soda, I have a large glass of ice water. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/13/14 12:51 am - OH

Just curious.  When you have had a regular soda, did you stretch out the time to drink it so the amount of sugar getting to the intestine was limited?  If not, I guess you a a true non-dumper.  :)  Anyway, just curious.

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Recent Topics
Calorie intake
vpstang · 10 replies · 132 views
What's on your Tuesday menu RNYers?
karenp8 · 39 replies · 485 views