Suggestions for taking crushed meds

basilmk
on 1/14/14 7:33 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Now I understand the trouble I have giving my cat a pill.  

I have a couple of capsule meds that my surgeon told me to open up and eat with applesauce - neither are available in liquid form.  Obviously, he's not tried the applesauce method because it is just awful.  Same for yogurt.  My Google search found some previous forum entries that suggested sf lemon pudding or wrapping meds in cheese as you would giving meds to a pet.  And, of course, there were many, many other suggestions of foods and methods.  I'm going to keep trying until I find something that I can take without stalling for hours, dreading the experience.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

What works for you?  

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 7:51 am - OH

I never crushed any meds or opened any capsules.  Do you have trouble swallowing pills?  I know some surgeons recommend crushing meds for a while (a few forever) after RNY.  The ASMBS says it's fine to swallow pills as soon as you are able to tolerate doing so, though.  If I was in your shoes, I'd call my surgeon and ask why he disagreed with the ASMBS on this matter and ask what harm he thought would come to me if I swallowed my pills.  Unless he gave me a compelling reason not to swallow pills, I'd swallow them.  I'm not telling you to go against your doctor's advice.  I'm just saying how I would handle it myself.

I was swallowing pills in the hospital about eight hours after my surgery.  I didn't have any trouble with them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 1/14/14 8:16 am

My nurse crushed mine immediately post-op and I had to swallow 'em with jus****er.  Blech.

As soon as I got home the day after surgery I started swallowing them whole.  I can't think of any reason not to take them whole; and crushing some immediate release meds will really make you sick.

Have you asked if it's ok to just take them the normal way?

PetHairMagnet
on 1/14/14 8:50 am
RNY on 05/13/13

What works for me is swallowing pills. I don't see why you should be crushing anything. Blech!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

gtrdyfor50
on 1/14/14 9:31 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Ditto, I swallowed pills in the hospital.

Sue G.
on 1/14/14 9:47 am - NH
RNY on 01/22/13

I crushed my pills as instructed by my surgeon. I tried everything to hide the horrid taste. I mixed them with applesauce, with Jello or pudding, in my protein shake, in juice, with milk, in mashed potatoes with gravy, in soup, etc... NOTHING covered up the awful taste completely. I found taking them mixed with a small amount of any liquid, as fast as I could, was the best way to get through it. Before you know it they will approve for you to take them whole.

Hang in there.

HW: 242  SW: 212   GW:134

moonandstarzz
on 1/14/14 10:39 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

I mix mine with sf pudding or mix it in with a protein shake. i dont mix it with the whole thing i will take a few spoons of the sf pudding out and mix the meds in with it and try to swallow the bites fairly fast (keep the few spoonfuls for a washme down bites to get taste out) or same if u make a 8oz shake take 4 oz and mix with meds use the other 4 oz to help wash taste out of ur mouth. I hope that helps i know meds are nasty crushed.

goddessgrrl
on 1/14/14 10:45 am - VA

My surgeon prescribed Prilosec capsules when I left the hospital. That night I was panicked because I couldn't figure out how to cru****: Should I open it, dump out the tiny spheres, put it in… something? … & eat it? So of course I called his cellphone & he said, "SWALLOW IT! Just take a small sip of water or two. SWALLOW IT!" I think he thought I was nuts, which I wasn't, I was just trying to follow postop instructions in which he mentioned nothing about taking a whole capsule.

So call your physician!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

basilmk
on 1/14/14 11:23 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Thanks for all the responses....I swallowed them!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 760 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 90 views
Recent Topics