OT/Know more than the Doc

bdaycakegirl
on 1/14/14 1:10 pm

Do you ever feel like you know more about certain things than your doctor/NUT/whoever? I read so much online and come to what I think is the TRUTH. I feel I know more about what vitamins I should take than the NUT, I feel I know how much protein I should eat better than the NUT.

But I do this with EVERYTHING.

When I was pregnant, I knew more about labor and delivery and interventions than my ob. I knew more about benefits of extended bf'ing than the pediatrician. I know more about vaccine safety. @@

I think I just might be a know it all. :D

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/14/14 2:06 pm - OH

I am certain that I know more than my PCP does about RNYers!  He is usually open to the information I provide him (links to ASMBS web pages, info from my surgeon's binder, copies of medical journal articles, etc.) so he can learn, though, especially since he is getting an increasing number of us.

I was fortunate that my surgeon was pretty knowledgeable about post-op nutrition.  The nutritionist that I spoke to once after my surgery was not at all helpful (although I didn't need much actual guidance since I and been reading posts here for several months before my surgery and, as I said, I got great info from my surgeon).  She left very shortly after that.

Lora

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

pathchic
on 1/14/14 6:45 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

You are taking charge - which I think is infinitely better than letting someone else lead you.  My experience related to WLS is limited, but I can speak with authority from professional experience-and the same principles apply.  You are the one with the most at stake, you have the most "skin in the game" - I would propose that it is not only OK to be the expert, but it is PREFERABLE.

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 7:35 pm - OH

I know a lot more about vitamins than my PCP.  More than most doctors, probably.  But then, doctors usually only get one class is medical school on basic nutrition.  Some medical schools don't even offer one class on nutrition.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SteveWebb
on 1/14/14 9:15 pm - NC

We're all different and we're dependent on taking our blood work when we should.  The NUT can't put us all in one box because my vitamin needs will probably be different than yours.  It is wonderful that you are educating yourself, I'm trying to.  We have some great Coaches on this site and I'm learning a lot.  I'll look for your help at times I'm sure. God bless.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

jimjayhawk
on 1/14/14 9:46 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

I appreciate your sense of humor. It wouldn't take much to know more about Bariatric procedures than many PCP's... Mine was reasonably knowledgeable, but if the online discussions I see are any indication many are clueless. 

As for surgeons, Nuts, and other weight loss clinic staff.... Mine were exceptionally knowledgeable and caring, but again from the online discussions there are some REALLY poorly run clinics. Nevertheless, this is THE #1 place where people REALLY need to practice due diligence. Really take the time to check out the clinic from top to bottom... comparison shop if possible... Why anyone would put their lives in the hands of ANY health care professional that isn't competent or fully trusted is beyond me... 

Once I did this I gave up ANY delusions of knowing more about the procedure than the professionals who have dealt with countless (over 1000) patients in the past xx yrs. That is not to say that I always comply 100% with their directions... But I am certain that they KNOW much more about this than I do... and that their advice and counsel has my best interests in mind. 

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 9:50 pm - OH

My surgeon was very competent at performing surgery.  He was not very competent about vitamins.  For instance, he advised me to take calcium carbonate, which RNY patients cannot absorb.  However, I was hiring him to perform surgery on me and he was very competent at that.  It was OK with me if he didn't know much about vitamins or auto mechanics or plumbing or fashion design, because I wasn't hiring him for those things.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SteveWebb
on 1/14/14 11:39 pm - NC

Doggone Kelly, I was hoping my Surgeon could fix my truck while he was at it. LOL

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

poet_kelly
on 1/14/14 11:42 pm - OH

Well, you can certainly ask him.  But if he can't, you'll have to decide if you can trust a man that can't fix a truck to fix your digestive system.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/15/14 1:09 am - OH

10 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Recent Topics