lexapro

alexadenitto
on 1/15/14 1:13 am - CT
RNY on 04/08/13

My dr prescribed me lexapro for depression/anxiety and i am supposed to start this evening, just wanted to know if any of you have any experience with this medicine after gastric bypass and what your opinions are good/bad if you have taken it. 

poet_kelly
on 1/15/14 1:22 am - OH

I tried it, but I think that was before my RNY.  Didn't help me but it does work for some people.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/14 2:11 am

It works great for me.  Some get nausea so you need to try to see if it works best  for you if you take it am or before bed.  Some people get extras energy others feel more tired. I typically take it at night.  I have hard time eating first thing am and most meds on empty pouch gives me nausea.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

alexadenitto
on 1/15/14 3:11 am - CT
RNY on 04/08/13

i have read some reviews online and some people suffered from weight gain while others with loss of appetite and seemed to lose weight, i didnt know if it affected post ops differently 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/14 4:12 am, edited 1/15/14 4:17 am

Neither for me.  If anything - it helps with my stress and therefore limits stress eating.  It allows me to have more easy going approach and deal better with crisis. 

I am on 10mg per day,  but during holiday season I doubled that for 3 weeks.  (With doc approval) and now I am slowly tempering down to 10 mg per day. My employees hate when I am not on it...I tried to give it up a few times but i do have a tendency to get over stressed. I like myself better on it. Takes an edge of things. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SteveWebb
on 1/15/14 2:48 am - NC

I've been on Citalopram which is generic for celexa for a while.  I do great on it pre-op.  I will keep taking it after surgery.  Wish you the best and hope you do well on it.  Remember, winter will be over before you know it.  The sun will shine, the birds will sing and the flowers will bloom and you will be thinner.  That ought to make you smile.  God bless you.

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

Jhbean21
on 1/15/14 3:12 am - MD
RNY on 09/17/13

I'm on lexapro and have been for years. It works great for me. I take all my psych meds at night right before I go to sleep because they make me tired. I haven't noticed any change in its effectiveness since having surgery. I hope it works well for you and helps. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/15/14 3:24 am - OH

I have been on it for about three years (the Zoloft I was on for several years stopped helping) and have had no trouble at all (taking the typical 20mg dose). I actually like it better than the Zoloft because it doesn't dull the feelings as much (with Zoloft, the negative emotions were dulled but so were the positive ones!)

It has not affected my weight at all.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

em83077
on 1/15/14 3:44 am - Ithaca, NY
Revision on 10/29/13

I also take Citalopram with no complications.enlightened

AuntSugar
on 1/15/14 3:48 am - La Verne, CA

I've been on depression meds since 1983 and they sure have changed a lot.  I currently take 40 mg of Lexapro and 15 mg of Buspar every day.  I take it in the morning and love it.  It allows me to feel quite normal, which a lot of the older meds didn't.  I am so happy with it.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 343 views