Things that interfere with iron absorption

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 2:47 am - OH

Most people already know that calcium interferes with the absorption of iron but there are actually a whole bunch of other things that can also interfere with it.  I wanted to post a link to an article that lists a whole bunch of things that can interfere with the absorption of iron.  I think it's particularly important to pay attention to these things if you're dealing with low iron, which many people do after RNY.

Things that interfere with iron absorption

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SandraF0823
on 1/17/14 2:58 am - CA
RNY on 12/30/13

Great information.  I had no idea about a lot of this, like tannins!  I drink a lot of decaf tea.

april89love
on 1/17/14 3:18 am - NC

Thanks Kelly! Great article!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

PetHairMagnet
on 1/17/14 3:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Awesome, thanks! The one that jumped out at me was synthroid. I take bio-identical thyroid meds, but do so in the morning. I know several folks here have said they take it at night and one who also takes her iron then (not sure about others).

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

April M.
on 1/17/14 8:37 am
RNY on 09/26/13

Interesting article... I was just diagnosed as being low... I take my iron in the morning and drink 2 cups of soy milk... (which is on the list)...  so do you know how long you should avoid the items that interfere with iron?  Two hours?  (I was told by my NUT to wait 2 hours to take my calcium after I take my iron)...

Thanks!

April

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 9:03 am - OH

I know the ASMBS says to wait two hours between iron and calcium.  I assume two hours should be plenty of time for other things, too.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

April M.
on 1/17/14 9:17 am
RNY on 09/26/13

Thanks!  I'm going to give it a try!!  BTW - I've been keeping track of my labs on your excel sheet, and the dr office didn't mention anything when my ferritin was 14... so I called them and questioned it... they were very impressed that I was keeping on track of my labs and apologized that they didn't catch the ferritin...

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 10:18 am - OH

They often don't catch things.  Good for you for being on top of it.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/14 10:48 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Good post. Thanks.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

BelieveInFaith
on 1/19/14 11:21 am - NJ
RNY on 08/08/13

Thank you for this info!  I am still learning all this as I go and did not know that coffee interferes with the absorption. 

Never accept NO for an answer.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 233 views