Post Surgery pain please help

marissasmith1987
on 1/21/14 9:09 am, edited 1/21/14 9:12 am - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

So i had my surgery Monday the 13th. i got home on the 16th. I am having bad pain. My lower left stomach is hurting so bad but it is not  constant pain. I can not move to the left lt hurts when i bend to my side. When i go to the bath room  i am in pain as well. I am able to go so that is a good thing. The best way to give a example how the pain is its SHARP. Is there a chance i am having complication ? I was on pain meds but i throw most of them up. I called the Dr today and i talk to one of the nurses she said they wrote me pain meds and there is nothing they can do. She said not walking and drinking and not getting enough protein is causing this pain dose that seem right? I have to get fluids on Thursday by iv. Im having trouble getting in protein. I have the premier protein shake 30 gram of protein in each shake i can get in one a day. what else can i do to get protein ? I am prone  to post surgery issue as i had the lapban 2 times and had issues from them. I had to have 4 surgeris do to a infection on my leg last year. It has been bed and i am just scared i might be having a issue. I do not have any red/hot areas. No puss nothing like that but its just the pain/brusing i am worried about. If you need more info i am 5'7  270 pounds and 25 year's old. I have some family support but its hard with the hospital being so far away. I was told not to go to one of the LOCAL Er rooms. I think they might of been seeing if i was over taking the meds. The nurse was like oh you should have enough for 5 days more. I ONCE again had to tell them the first few days i was throwing up. I had a family member call for me to see what is the best way to get the pain med down. I threw them up then took more. I told the nurse then she was like OHHHH ok. Come on in for a IV fluid , they see so many people and there so busy i i feel like i am not getting enough support. This is hard on me and my family and we are just unsure  if i need to take the long trip to the hospital they want me to go to. Thank you

poet_kelly
on 1/21/14 9:38 am - OH

Are you dehydrated?  If you are, I think you should go to the ER NOW for IV fluids.  Why wait until Thursday if you are dehydrated?

If the pain meds aren't helping, I would call back and ask for a script for something else.  If you're throwing up a lot, did they prescribe something for nausea?  If not, ask for that, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jvino
on 1/21/14 9:55 am

Sounds like internal stitches. I would tread lightly. It takes awhile to heal. I'm not that much of a vet but getting protein in early is rough just get fluids in now worry about the protein later on. Good luck

Tiffaniejb
on 1/21/14 10:26 am

The pain you are describing sounds like some pain I had.  It was my lower left side.  It was constant, but I got it when I bent, laughed too hard, coughed, sneezed, or move certain ways.  When I asked my surgeon about it, he explained that it was from where he cut thru some nerve endings.  He said to give it another 1-2 weeks ( I was 1month post op at the time) and they'd go away out of the blue.  He was right, about a week later, I had the pain when I woke up, then around 1pm that day, it just stopped and hasn't been back!!!

good luck!!  I hope you feel better soon.  I do agree that if you are dehydrated, you should go to the ER now for fluid and not wait!

new_me180
on 1/21/14 11:00 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I had the same issue when I got home from my surgery. My Dr didn't even discharge me with any pain meds despite me complaining that left side was "killing" me. The difference is my wound was hot and raised. I ended up going to the ER the next day after discharge to get some IV antibiotics which I stayed on for five days. I didn't wait because things can get serious quick and my infection would have got worse. My point is is if you can't keep anything down or the meds are not working don't wait. Even if the ER they tell you to go to is a little bit far. You are your own advocate and no one will talk for you if you don't speak up for your self. Sometimes DRs feel like the patients shouldn't feel pain or feel the pain meds they prescribed are adequate but not everyone works the same. I was given morphine after surgery and it didn't work and the umbilical hernia repair was awful. I regret not having been more aggressive in getting different pain meds that would have kept me comfy but now, I know better. I speak up and and I make sure the best decisions for my health are made. Best of luck to you.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/21/14 11:09 am - OH

Bruising is common, so I wouldn't  worry about that.  No one here can guess about the pain, but it does sound a bit like things other people here have described.

Vomiting your pain meds is more of a concern. If they won't give you any different pain pills, ask for something for nausea.  Personally, I would ask for liquid pain meds so you cannot throw it up.  

If you really believe you are dehydrated (how much fluid are you getting in daily?), I would go to the closest ER regardless of what your surgeons's office says.  They can give you IV fluids and write a script for an anti-nausea meds or Lortab liquid pain meds without knowing anything about bypass surgery.

i certainly hope you can get some relief.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/21/14 8:42 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:

Bruising is common, so I wouldn't  worry about that.  No one here can guess about the pain, but it does sound a bit like things other people here have described.

Vomiting your pain meds is more of a concern. If they won't give you any different pain pills, ask for something for nausea.  Personally, I would ask for liquid pain meds so you cannot throw it up.  

If you really believe you are dehydrated (how much fluid are you getting in daily?), I would go to the closest ER regardless of what your surgeons's office says.  They can give you IV fluids and write a script for an anti-nausea meds or Lortab liquid pain meds without knowing anything about bypass surgery.

i certainly hope you can get some relief.

Lora

Agreed. And there are suppository forms of nausea meds that can help if you are throwing things up. You could also ask for anti-nausea meds in your IV so while you are getting hydrated you will lose that awful feeling, too and once you are back to 'center' you can then introduce liquids orally and get back on the good path.

Just being dehydrated can make you feel lousy, once you are back to a solid level of hydration you might be pleasantly surprised by how much better you feel!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

marissasmith1987
on 1/21/14 12:40 pm - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

Thanks everyone, i went to the closet er . We been here waiting to get back . I been here for a few hours looks like i will be here well in to the early morning hours. I guess most of the stuff is normal but i was never told of the post issues. I been drinking floods, see i have type 2 diabites and i have to watch my sugar in take. I was on a pump they stoped that and i have to take a shot before a meal and before beds. I have my vitamins and my normal everyday meds. I am able to keep stuff down today its just i went threw all my pain meds. I think they made it out like i was trying to get more, whats funny i had a family call the first day and they should of put that in my record that i was not able to take my meds. The office said they wrote a 10 day supply so they will NOT write no more. Like i said i am waiting back to get fluids, i am going to call the office and let them know i had to go. I think i have to do whats best for me, some great advice from everyone. I learned some of the pain/brusing is normal but stinks. I all so understand that it was i came to the ER even though its not the one the dr office wanted me to go to. I have read that some people have a issue with getting things down , i mean i am one week post surgery and the nurse was giving me a hard time about not walking and drinking and the pain meds. Even my boyfriend over heard the call. He could not understand why they made it out like i was just being lazy and over taking my meds. She had a never to ask if i took them before surgery. I tell you guy's they better not give me a hard time. My boy friend has been at my side and sticks up for me and he is very smart and i tell ya he will put them in there place. I can speak for me self but i tend to not stick up for my self. I have on going issues and he helps me express my self when needed. I think if they are rude when i call i will have to speak up or i tell ya he will go there and have a nice talk with them. I feel very upset the office said that they will watch me and make sure my mental health is in order. They said my medical issue will be watched. They did not care my pre opt with the dr was 20 seconds and it tell ya he is a great dr but the office imo has droped the ball . Sorry for the long post i am just a tad upset and feel left in the dark. I want to heal and i want to start to live my life not damn near 300 pounds. Once again thanks everyone, every single post has helped and i learned something. well done my friends....

marissasmith1987
on 1/21/14 2:08 pm - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

It is all most 1 am, i a got back. They started a iv the nurse said that i did the right thing. Waiting to Thursday was not a good idea. They said that going to the closet er was the right thing . I just seen the dr (my boy friend is writing my words for me lol hey everyone lol) he said that i need iv fluids and he asked about the pain.No redness nothing like that but lower stomache pain is what the issue is. He felt around and sure enough when he got to the lower half of my stomach i was hurting. He asked about what pain meds i got, i told him and said i threw them up . I am kinda confused i do not want any one to think i was over taking my meds. I know that stuff looks bad and where i live all the Hospitals and dr etc are connected. I did throw them up then took more i mean what was i to do i was only 4 days out of surgery in pain and me and my boy friend did not know what to do. We crushed them put them in my drink i still threw them up. i told the dr and he understood and did not give me a hard time. I feel up set ya know like they made me out to be abusing my meds. I mean please i am in pain i threw them up i tried to take more and ran out a few days early. Its not like i took 40 pills in 2 days and bs for meds. My boy friend wants me to speak up and ask about why did they asume i took them before my surgery. See i seen the Dr on a Friday he gave me the script. I had surgery on a monday i filled them on sunday and had them ready for when i came home. We are very upset they made it like i was messing around. I know i said this before but my boyfriend called the first day home to tell them i am throwing up pain meds and we do not know what to do. This should of been in my file, i know when i call i will let them know i had to go to the closet place. They all so made it like i was just siting around being lazy it was like no compassion for me and my family that i live with is very upset. Thanks everyone for the help its nice to know there is people out there that care. Hey this is marissa boy friend My name is Joe. I love marissa and i care for her i will do what ever it takes but i was blown away when the nurse from her Dr office made it like she was abusing her meds and being lazy. I mean she is damn near 300 pounds just had surgery and she has had post suregery issues. All this is know she has mental issues and medical issues and its like well to bad she can not get up and walk as much as they want. I feel like they just have robotic questions they ask. I swear the nurse was not understanding, we could not get in for her Iv fluids yesterday. See we look after her mom who had 6 strokes and all this stuff is on me. The house, marissa her mom the pets etc. So to be honest if i can not drive her she has no family .. So it had to be thursday morning. Anyways she is resting and waitng for pain meds, i told her ask for liquid form and if her dr office says oh we gave you more then enough i WILL GO OFF ON THEM. 

MickeyDee
on 1/21/14 5:41 pm

Liquid lortab is the best thing.  She's just had a pretty major surgery, and as someone said earlier, the left side is the major pain point due to the camera and tools being inserted there.

I hope she's feeling better.  You're a good man, Joe.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 482 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 442 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 450 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404