How long is your common channel/alimentary length?

HKFandora
on 1/22/14 1:36 am

I've been researching my butt off and I found some information regarding this but I just want to double check with you all.

How long is your common channel and alimentary limb? Distal or proximal, doesn't matter. Also include how long are you out from surgery, SW, current weight, and how long it took you. Thanks in advance. 

chulbert
on 1/22/14 2:03 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I don't think even the surgeon could answer all your measurement questions with accuracy.  They would certainly know the bypass length in a proximal procedure, or the length they "backed off" in a distal procedure, but I doubt they'd bother measuring the rest.  Further, I doubt these specific numbers would ever come up after surgery unless the patient specifically asked, assuming you even see the surgeon again after surgery (I won't).

I was out of work for two weeks plus one day.  I could have gone back after a week but the office insisted on two, plus one day so my first week back wasn't a full week.  My starting weight was 437, my operating weight was 380, and my current weight is 200.  It has been just shy of 15 months since the start.  I'm also male and 35.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/22/14 3:06 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, chulbert wrote:

I don't think even the surgeon could answer all your measurement questions with accuracy.  They would certainly know the bypass length in a proximal procedure, or the length they "backed off" in a distal procedure, but I doubt they'd bother measuring the rest.  Further, I doubt these specific numbers would ever come up after surgery unless the patient specifically asked, assuming you even see the surgeon again after surgery (I won't).

I was out of work for two weeks plus one day.  I could have gone back after a week but the office insisted on two, plus one day so my first week back wasn't a full week.  My starting weight was 437, my operating weight was 380, and my current weight is 200.  It has been just shy of 15 months since the start.  I'm also male and 35.

You never went back, not for a single post-op visit? Why is that? Thankfully I am not a cat so the curiosity won't kill me! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

chulbert
on 1/22/14 3:09 am, edited 1/22/14 3:09 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I meant see the surgeon himself as opposed to a member of his staff.  Mine has a team of physician assistants who handle the routine follow-ups.  I will never see him again.  :)

PetHairMagnet
on 1/22/14 3:40 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 22, 2014 at 11:09 AM Pacific Time, chulbert wrote:

I meant see the surgeon himself as opposed to a member of his staff.  Mine has a team of physician assistants who handle the routine follow-ups.  I will never see him again.  :)

Oh, interesting! I only see my surgeon for follow ups. It is so interesting the many ways things are done for the same overall procedure. :) 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 1/22/14 2:08 am - OH

I know my surgeon bypassed about 100 centimeters. I don't know how you'd measure the rest.  I'm a little over five years out, was 270 when I had surgery, now about 145.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/22/14 2:14 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I don't see the words "channel or alimentary limb" anywhere in my hospital report but here's a snipet that sounds close  "...small bowel was traced out 100 cm distal...small bowel was then traced out an additional 150 cm, where the side-to-side enteroenterostomy was accomplished with firing of the 60 mm stapler."  I am 14 months out. Starting BMI=62.3, Surgery BMI=50.3, Current BMI=31.1.  Took one year.

Ladytazz
on 1/22/14 2:27 am

I think you are thinking of the DS?  Those are terms more commonly used by people who have had the DS.  You might ask this question over in the DS forum.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

cajungirl
on 1/22/14 4:34 am, edited 1/22/14 4:55 am

I think these lengths are more commonly known with the DS, especially if the surgeon measures the entire length of intestines using the Hess method....my understanding is it still wouldn't be 100% accurate. 

Here is a picture of the RNY that I find easier to understand (for those wondering) 

Saying all this I do know I was bypassed 80cm basically the shortest proximal bypass.  I'm 9 years post-op, starting weight 260 lbs, surgery weight 239, now (this morning) 122.3.  It took me 9 months from surgery date to surpass goal of 130 lbs.  I continued to lose a little while longer. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

HKFandora
on 1/22/14 4:57 am

Thanks for the numbers. I guess what I should of asked is how much was bypassed. The only difference really give or take between the the DS and the RNY past the sleeve/stoma is the amount bypassed so I was just trying to have an idea. I found a chart that gave some great info comparing the two surgeries just trying see what has been working. For some. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404