Two and a half weeks post op and traveling for work

basilmk
on 1/24/14 9:06 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurant eating this soon after surgery? I will be having meals with my team so can't always fix my own food. Any ideas beyond tuna and mashed potatoes will be appreciated.

thanks...

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 9:21 am - OH

Are you on soft foods?  Or still on pureed?

It depends on where you eat, of course.  I'd try to stick to things you are pretty certain you tolerate well (puking in a restaurant bathroom is no fun, trust me).  Some places have yogurt, jus****ch the amount of sugar.  Some places have cottage cheese as a side item.  Oatmeal or cream of wheat - add protein powder if you want to boost the protein.  Chili, soup, eggs, omelets.  Cheese - I know nobody has a slice of cheese listed on their menu but many restaurants sell cheeseburgers or grilled cheese sandwiches so you should be able to just get a slice of cheese if you want one.  Cooked veggies, refried beans at Mexican places.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sonyamarie75
on 1/24/14 9:31 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

Egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad. I went out of town and brought a little cooler with these things made with low fat mayo but you could probably get them out. Applesauce, I did ham roll ups with light cream cheese (onion flavored I think). You might be able to do soft grilled or baked fish. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

basilmk
on 1/24/14 1:28 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I baked a small piece of salmon in a parchment pouch a couple of days ago so it would be moist and, although I chewed forever, I had my first and only negative experience. I just don't like the idea of mixing all my fish with mayo so I think I will pass on the fish...

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 9:45 am - OH

I'll add that I would ask a lot of questions about food in restaurants because stuff may have a lot more fat or sugar than you would guess.  I'd also take along some protein shakes. 

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Qajohn
on 1/24/14 11:06 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

I'm only one week out myself, but I'm anxious to hear the responses you get. I travel every week myself and will start traveling again in mid Feb. I have been considering breakfast to be pretty easy (scrambled eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese etc). Lunch and dinner are much more difficult, especially only being two weeks out. For soft foods I have been thinking about nice fish fillets or  grilled chicken with soft cooked veggies. If you are still on puréed foods,  I am at a little loss. 

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 11:15 am - OH

At many places,  you can get breakfast foods at any time of day if you ask.

AllisonKara
on 1/24/14 2:08 pm

The best thing to do is to consult your doctor about what you should do, what to take with you. I would strongly recommend taking some protein shakes. It's always good. Another, stick with veg diet. Salad will do well. Rest should be left for your dietitian.

poet_kelly
on 1/24/14 7:29 pm - OH

Most surgeons and dieticians so not recommend salad at two and a half weeks post op.  Does yours?

4aLHSMe
on 1/24/14 6:59 pm - VA

Wow! I impressed you are already back at work and allowed to travel, I was told travel was out of the question for 4 weeks because of the increased likelihood of blood clots. Make sure you're elevating your legs after you travel. Do you feel up to traveling? 

As for the food, mashed potatoes with protein powder, most soups, applesauce, protein shake or smoothie, spinach mash, field peas with green beans, black beans and salsa, refried beans, avocado. At this stage it's more about getting your protein in and the consistency of your food since your internal sutures are still healing. you know what they say---chew, chew, chew

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics