Lose only 75% of excess weight

bdaycakegirl
on 1/29/14 9:17 am

Why is that the norm or what I read a lot in books about what you can expect to lose? Is it just because a lot of our bodies are used to being fat and want to stay that way, or is it because most people eat over the needed calories?

I want to lose it all. 25% of my excess weight would still be like close to 40lbs. I don't want to be 40lbs overweight.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

poet_kelly
on 1/29/14 9:28 am - OH

75% is an average.  Some people lose 100%.  Some lose more than 100% - I lost about 115%, meaning I was about 20 lbs below goal.  Of course, that also means some lose less than 75%.

Why doesn't everyone lose 100%?  I guess some people are more comfortable at a slightly higher weight or don't want to stay on a real strict diet or exercise a whole bunch or whatever they would need to do in order to lose (and keep off) 100%.  I was below goal, but then gained a little back and now I'm about at my goal.  Why didn't I stay 20 lbs under goal?  To do that, I would have to get a lot more exercise, and with my back problems exercise is difficult and painful for me, or eat a lot less, and I don't want to have to count calories really strictly and I want to be able to have occasional treats.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 1/29/14 9:41 am
RNY on 02/06/13

This is what I was told...

1. Some people have more to lose than others; malabsorption does not last forever - so if you have 250 pounds to lose you are going to be less likely to get to your goal by surgery ALONE in the first 12-18 months or so.

2. Some people eat crap just like they did pre-op.  

3. Some people do not exercise, watch their calorie intake and just let the surgery do all the work.

4. Others, diet, exercise and make the most of the honeymoon phase and are more likely to get to 100%.

I have 2 friends that did 1-3 and they are at about 50-55% with surgery alone and one is regaining.   I also had a friend that gave it 100% and make it to a size 6 in 10 months and is maintaining.

The surgery is what YOU make it.  

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/29/14 10:50 am
What are you using to determine excess weight? My surgeon, for insurance purposes, picked a weight of 134. I may not be able to force my body that low. Sometimes our bodies seem to find a happy place at which the loss stops. My surgeon does not give goal weights. He gives health goals such as resolving or greatly improving comorbidities. I picked a goal of 165. I lost 150 pounds so I have lost one pound more than what my goal was and I have resolved all my comorbidities. I am going next month to get my body fat tested, which is a good predictor of health. So if someone does not lose 100% of excess weight it does not necessarily mean he or she was non compliant.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

bdaycakegirl
on 1/29/14 3:11 pm

I want a normal BMI, so I  was basing excess weight on what it would take to get that.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/1/14 11:41 am

Just as note for you: I got to top of normal BMI and I looked drained, tired and my body fast % was 15-18 %. I was also weak and tired. It did not look good on me. Some of us have big bones, boobs and muscles. If you going to exercise andf build or retain muscles - the normal BMI may be too low...

I didf not pick weight - I picked size and body fast %. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

bdaycakegirl
on 2/1/14 11:45 am

I think this is true. I have a large frame. Even when I was thin, I was at the very top of the range, and I have very large breasts, and muscular build. Maybe BMI isn't the best way. I guess I just want to be considered "normal" maybe not by BMI standards, but by something. I guess I will have to wait and see how things progress. Like I am learning on just about everything with this, you can plan and try to figure it all out, but I am guessing a lot of it is you only learn by experience.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/2/14 9:14 pm

For mental reasons I had "I am contend clothes size" and anything bellow that was a bonus. For me - at my age - it was 10-12. I went down to very bonny, skin hanging everywhere size small 6 or 4. And that was at 145...(high normal BMI ) for me. My butt was so small and bonny that I needed donut pillow to sit on my sofa.  My BS was dropping to as point of me passing out (not enough "stored" reserves). Currently at 160's I wear 6-8 bottom, 10 -12 tops. And I have curves in right places. I would like to get to 150's. Because I had bunch or really cute dresses size 6-8... That still fit my bottom, but not my top... Other than that - I am happy, can sit on any chair now (even hard one) without extreme discomfort, I have energy to do things I want to do. 

Hope you will be happy with your results. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 1/29/14 7:21 pm

Honestly, I am a numbers girl and obsessed on that number pre-op, too. I was determined to get to a normal BMI and did so. For the overwhelming majority of us, it is hard work to get to goal and stay there. At 5 years out I still work hard to stay at goal. Many do not.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

bdaycakegirl
on 1/30/14 3:13 am

Good on you. I am hoping that once I feel better it will be somewhat easier to do better.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views