One week post surgery

Pattim49
on 2/2/14 11:08 pm - OH

RNY done 1/27/14. Stayed in the hospital until Wed. evening 1/29/14. I have been doing protein shakes since Thursday with no problems. The only problem I have had is excrutiating pain when moving from a standing to sitting to lying position. The pain feels like my insides are burning and tearing at the same time. I have never felt a pain like this. My doctor said that where the muscle was stitched will be painful for a while, but I can't wait for this to stop. I had cut down on the pain medicine, but have started taking it again. Although it isn't always effective against this pain. Anybody else experience this?

jdsparkee
on 2/2/14 11:31 pm
RNY on 01/28/14

I had mine done on 1/28/14 and had the same 2 night duration in the hospital.  My doctor was sure to tell me I'd have pain on the left side due to cutting through muscle.  I have to be very strategic on how I move... typically I have to roll to my right side to get up from a laying position.  I had to change pain meds after 2 days due to weird reactions but I'm almost completely off of them now as well.  I only take a 1/2 dose at night.  I'm sorry about the pain you're experiencing and hope it gets better soon! 

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

RNYGuyPA
on 2/3/14 12:02 am
RNY on 12/27/13

My surgery was 12/27 and I had the same pain that both of you are having.  It took a few weeks - felt good one day, not so good the next, but you will get through this, tell your doc, use your pain meds and this will pass before you know it.  Hang in there and good luck!

6' 2"     HW: 405      SW: 352      CW: 276      GW: 225

Trendweight

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

xxsyrenaxx
on 2/3/14 6:38 am

My surgery was 1/27, so far my only problem is I can not stand more protein shakes. someone has started with pureed diet in the second week? I'm not hungry, but I worry about not taking the necessary protein per day.

gtrdyfor50
on 2/3/14 6:49 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Hang in there, it WILL get better. It will take a few weeks to be back to normal, but so worth it.

Cindylew
on 2/3/14 8:16 am - Port Orange, FL

I had surgery the day you left the hospital.  I have a somewhat similiar feeling.  I too was feeling better Fri, Sat (2 - 3 days post op) than I am now.  I have also had lots of dizziness.

TurnThePage
on 2/3/14 9:08 am

I found that wearing the abdominal binder my surgeon supplied was really helpful when I moved to different positions. You can buy them at medical supply stores. It seemed to hold all my insides firmly in place so there was no sensation of burning or tearing when I turned in bed at night. 

You will probably do a lot better if you do not lie down the first week or so.  Sleep in a recliner, in a comfy chair with a foot rest or on the sofa. It is easier to get up/sit down in a chair if you put a pillow on the seat to raise it several inches.  A raised toilet seat can be a huge help so you use your thighs and not your abdominals to rise. Also be careful not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, preferably less, while you are healing.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 195 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 478 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 397 views
Recent Topics