Nausea

happycats
on 2/4/14 7:27 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I am three weeks post op from rny, and the past three days I have been so nauseated that I can't eat and can barely drink anything.  I felt fine before this, but I feel so sick to my stomach now. I have been taking phenergan that they gave me after the surgery and it helps a little, but not much. I just wondered if anyone else has gone through this and how long does it last? I just wish I could feel better!

rocky513
on 2/4/14 8:18 am - WI

Could you be lactose intolerent?  I was VERY nauseated until I figured out that the milk I was using to mix my protein shakes was making me sick.  Try mixing your shakes with water, soy milk, or almond milk.

Also check your protein powder to see if it is 99% lactose free. Whey Isolate is lactose free.  If it is a whey concentrate blend... it likely contains lactose.  It should say right on the label whether or not it is lactose free.  

I can eat yogurt and cheese with no problems... milk sends me over the edge. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

karenp8
on 2/4/14 8:30 am - Brighton, IL

Have you been getting your liquids in well? Dehydration can also cause nausea so that is another possibility.

ohnorita
on 2/4/14 8:35 am - PA

Hi,  I am also having nausea.  My RNY was Jan 7.  I had a few days that I felt a little better but it is mostly there all day and night.  I have been told (and read) that it could be a lot things (dehydration, not enough protein, etc).  I was doing great with fluid intake...not so great with the protein intake.  Friends who have had bariatric surgeries are telling me to keep sipping fluids and try to increase protein even if the foods aren't bari-friendly, just so I can feel better.

I don't know.  Smells are making me iffy.  I keep saying I feel pregnant.  It isn't that great a time.  I hope it goes away.  Soon.

crow
on 2/4/14 8:54 am

That sounds like exactly what I went through. At about the same time post op. I called my doctor and they prescribed a acid reducer and a different antinausea med. It help greatly and the symptoms stopped within a few days. They descibed it as the stomach reacting to stiches desolving. 

tdbull
on 2/4/14 8:59 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
That's about the same time I experienced nausea, too. It lasted till I was about 6 weeks out. It's not fun, but it will go away.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Mommiecat
on 2/6/14 12:37 pm

I've been as bad as my pregnant sister! I'm 5 months out and have pregnancy nose, as I call it.  Smells drive me nuts all day long. I am constantly nauseated.  Eating or not, drinking or not... I want to throw up all day long.  I told my husband tonight it's that crappy feeling where you think if I just throw up I will feel better, but it's not working that way.  I also gave in and took a pregnancy test. Last time I had nausea this bad for this long I was pregnant with twins!! It was negative, of course, but you never know!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 334 views