vitamin guideline change at surgeons office

TamaraL
on 2/4/14 10:09 pm

So I got a email yesterday from surgeon office. They are recommending that we now take

2 multi vitamins with iron.

no change with vitamin b12.

OTC vitamin D3 has increased to 5000 iu/day

Iron, recommend slow FE or ferous fumorate which i totally don't agree with because i cant tolerate

calcium 1500 mg/day seperated in 2 doses

I thought this was interesting since i have been taking Centrum a-z 2 tablets from the beginning based on the AMBS guidelines that Kelli pointed me to early on. Funny how when i say i took 2 multivitamins they told me i didnt have to and now say that we need to do this.

Tamara L

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/4/14 10:21 pm

I guess that shows they can learn.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 2/4/14 10:47 pm - OH

Well, I'm glad they are now getting more in line with the ASMBS guidelines. 

They should be recommended that calcium be taken in three doses - people can only absorb 500-600 mg at a time so taking 750 at a time means you wouldn't absorb enoough.

I also prefer carbonyl iron to ferrous fumerate but ferrous fumerate is at least better than ferrous sulfate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

barb.k
on 2/5/14 6:06 am - Williamson, GA

Kelly, 

I take my MVI (bariatric advantage) and calcium Citrate ( 500 mg)  breakfast and dinner and iron at lunch. Do you take your calcium at three meal times and iron at bedtime? In order to space out your iron and calcium?  I was on RX2 Vitamin D weekly until a few weeks ago. I had my labs done yesterday for my 3 month check up next week. Looking forward to seeing the results. Thnanks for giving such great advice.

barb.k

poet_kelly
on 2/5/14 6:12 am - OH

I do calcium at breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then iron at bed.  We need to take calcium three or four times a day because we can only absorb 500-600 mg at a time and we need a total of 1500-2000 (according to the ASMBS).

I'm gonna guess your vitamin D will not have gone up very  much.  The prescription D (Drisdol) is D2 and it's in oil.  We have to convert D2 to D3 in our body and it takes a lot of D2 to make a little D3.  In addition, we malabsorb fats and oil is a fat, so we don't absorb vitamins in oil as well as dry vitamins.  Keep in mind that the Linus Pauling Institute says we need our vitamin D level to be at least 80.  Most RNY post ops seem to need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a level of 80, although I've known three people that could do it on less.  Many need  more than 10,000 IU a day, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

QoftheU
on 2/5/14 12:16 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

As I was reading this post Kelly, I thought to myself, "Oh please please, let Kelly post her daily list..."... and you did - thank you!  Copied and Pasted!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 448 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 404 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404