Meal prepping

Beyl689
on 2/5/14 12:22 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

I have been at a standstill for over a month now so I decided to start prepping my meals for the week so that I can see if I can get things moving again. Do any of you do this and what are your experiences? What does your typical week look like as far as meals and snacks? Thanks in advance!!

Dcgirl
on 2/5/14 12:34 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Meal prepping for me is KEY! I spend about 1-2 hours on Sunday getting ready for the week. I make a batch of egg bites (world according to eggface blog) that will be breakfast for a week (24 mini ones). If I have sautéed any onions or peppers for the egg bites, I may decide to make a turkey meatloaf. I measure little containers with deli turkey and cheese (3oz). I plan out what I will have for every single lunch. I may take something out of the freezer to defrost like chicken breast. For me, prepping is a must :) Good luck!

Mo Diggity
on 2/5/14 6:25 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I looked on Eggface's website, and found "Breakfast Bites"... is that the same thing ? Are they hard to make & do they freeze well ??

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

nurl
on 2/5/14 8:01 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
Great idea. I have been looking at the egg-face site and see the bites. I plan to make them this Sunday. I do not notice any calorie counts on her site. Do you just figure your nutritional info yourself ?

Dcgirl
on 2/5/14 8:53 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

The egg bites are fantastic!!! They also freeze extremely well. They are honestly sooo easy. I'm not a big recipe follower so I just mix what sounds good and what I have in the house, in a big bowl. I have found that for my 24 mini muffin tins I use about 1.75 cups of egg beaters, .75 cups of cheese, and maybe 3 Oz of meat or fish. Then maybe.5 cup of diced veggies. To calculate the nutritional info, I normally eat 3 for breakfast so I eat 1/8 of the recipe. Takes a bit of hard brain math but I log it into MyFitnessPal once, and then click on the little wrench button next to that particular breakfast and click on save meal. You can also click on the wrench and click copy to date and copy it to every day of the week. Mine normally ends up at 120 calories and 2 g fat,7 carbs and 20 G protein. 

I normally put 9 in a bag for breakfast M/T/W and then do a bag of six in the freezer that I take outW night to nuke on Th/F. The rest are in a bag in the freezer for any other time I need them. 

Warning!!! When I reheat these every day at work someone inevitably wants to try them so perhaps bring a few extra :) especially if it has bacon-the smell is too good to resist!

Also, I personally have found that I have to add red chili flakes and salt and pepper-season it well! I also prefer strong cheeses like goat or gruyere. Mild cheeses are too bland for me. 

Cunning Pam just tried these and loves them too! Eggface hit on such a delicious concept!

nurl
on 2/5/14 10:11 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
Thank you so much

Mo Diggity
on 2/6/14 2:19 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Awesome Thanks !!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

PetHairMagnet
on 2/5/14 1:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I try to do a shake once a day and otherwise have chew food. If however, that isn't realistic in a week when I am on a plane for over 8 hours for a business trip, so I'll be taking some sample packs to mix with a large bottle of water and have a shake on the plane and not be chancing it with any chew food that might not sit well with me. The LAST place I want to be with 'quick exit' issues in my colon is a plane!

My snacks are usually a mix of full fat items, like cheese, avocado or nuts (almond, pecan and pistachio) and high protein items like 1/2 a Quest bar, small shake or some leftover crab/shrimp/scallops. I keep my snacks to no more than 100 calories, closer to 70 typically. I eat around 700 calories a day, working hard to get to 800, but that is very hard, I'm only 8 1/2 months out.

I make my food a few days a week and then have leftovers the rest of the week. I used to do 100% of my cooking on Sunday, but now I find that doesn't work in my post-op life as well. So I tend to make my 'base' (like ground beef browned) and bagged for use in other things, but not actually making the cowboy chili or layered mexican casserole until the day of the first eating.

One of the 'hot things' in our home right now is a blend of grilled onions, sweet peppers and sliced mushrooms with the Swanson Infused broth in either Mexican Tortilla or Hot and Sour soup. Adds GREAT flavor and is an awesome meal with a bit of crab or shrimp added for everyone. Sometimes I will put it on a steak for my son (who has not had surgery and does not know his dad and I have had surgery) along with a helping of pasta or rice. Daddy and I just have our 3/4c and 1/3c serving and enjoy the heck out of it!  I can make it once a week and warm it as many times as needed and it just gets better as time goes on!

:)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

nurl
on 2/5/14 10:18 pm
RNY on 05/14/13
I like to eat the same thing as well. However, lately it am needing some chew/real food so that is why I am going to try some recipes this weekend for next weeks menu. Thanks for the great ideas!

NDHM
on 2/5/14 1:58 am, edited 2/5/14 1:59 am

I'm a prepper too. On Sundays usually, I put together things for breakfast for the week (cook center cut bacon, flavor some yogurts, make crustless quiches). I portion out snack like almonds. I even foreman or grill some chicken breasts and slice them into strips. Oh, I boil several eggs, peel them, and put in a container.  

Edited to add: I tend to eat a great deal of the same things for a week at a time...chicken, chicken salad, egg salad, tuna etc, but it is so helpful. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 416 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404