Called my dietican and surgeon!

mzlaura
on 2/6/14 8:13 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I feel like something is wrong. Granted, i haven't made the best food choices i am retaining a lot of water as of this week went from 210 pounds to 220 and so far its not budging off. Even the dietician agreed this is excessive and even food choices i have made wouldn't have caused a 10 lb gain. Hoping we can figure this out because it has been ongoing.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

SkinnyScientist
on 2/6/14 8:37 am

HOly bananas!  GEt thee to an endocrinologist.  My body when my PCOS was acting up would do stuff like that.  I gained 5 lbs in one week eating nothing bu****ermelon. I was within my WW points every day, figured the points value for watermelon, and gained 5 lbs because the watermelon had sugar.

And dont think "My periods are regular... normal"  Mine were too.  It wasnt until my periods were tracked and hormones were taken throughout the cycle that it was discovered that my lutenizing hormone to follicle stimulating hormone was off.

When was the last time you pooped. When my PCOS acted up, I didnt feel constipated but I would only poop like once or twice a week (some hormones like estrogen are constipating).  Then when I would crap it would be 3 times in one day and I would lose like 3 lbs in that day.

The endo will also check thyroid (hormones and structure of the organ itself).

Do not wait. You may gain more weight.  A doctor blogged about how people with Cushings disease (a hormonal disorder) do not have good outcomes with RNY.  He recommends checking for Cushings prior to RNY.  Take home message: Surgery vs. Hormones- the hormones just might win.

I dont mean to scare you, make you feel bad, or be an alarmist. But dont do the ostrich thing. I did. Nothing improved, I was 40 lbs heavier and just a smidge away from 300 lbs.

Lastly, if it is hormonal, the prescriptons do help.... a lot. My fiancee has thyroid problems. THey put him in on thyroid meds. In 3 months that 30 lbs was gone.  WIth myself, I was put on metformin and literally 15 lbs slid off over a two month period. We both had to change our diets but it was wiht minimal effort. I was already going to the gymn. I didnt have to exercise any harder or any longer to get that 15 lbs to come off.  I just had to pick low carb choices and remember to take my meds.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

mzlaura
on 2/6/14 8:45 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On February 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

HOly bananas!  GEt thee to an endocrinologist.  My body when my PCOS was acting up would do stuff like that.  I gained 5 lbs in one week eating nothing bu****ermelon. I was within my WW points every day, figured the points value for watermelon, and gained 5 lbs because the watermelon had sugar.

And dont think "My periods are regular... normal"  Mine were too.  It wasnt until my periods were tracked and hormones were taken throughout the cycle that it was discovered that my lutenizing hormone to follicle stimulating hormone was off.

When was the last time you pooped. When my PCOS acted up, I didnt feel constipated but I would only poop like once or twice a week (some hormones like estrogen are constipating).  Then when I would crap it would be 3 times in one day and I would lose like 3 lbs in that day.

The endo will also check thyroid (hormones and structure of the organ itself).

Do not wait. You may gain more weight.  A doctor blogged about how people with Cushings disease (a hormonal disorder) do not have good outcomes with RNY.  He recommends checking for Cushings prior to RNY.  Take home message: Surgery vs. Hormones- the hormones just might win.

I dont mean to scare you, make you feel bad, or be an alarmist. But dont do the ostrich thing. I did. Nothing improved, I was 40 lbs heavier and just a smidge away from 300 lbs.

Lastly, if it is hormonal, the prescriptons do help.... a lot. My fiancee has thyroid problems. THey put him in on thyroid meds. In 3 months that 30 lbs was gone.  WIth myself, I was put on metformin and literally 15 lbs slid off over a two month period. We both had to change our diets but it was wiht minimal effort. I was already going to the gymn. I didnt have to exercise any harder or any longer to get that 15 lbs to come off.  I just had to pick low carb choices and remember to take my meds.

I do have thyroid problems i have hypothyroidism. This has been ongoing since surgery and i am having some sort of bowel movements. I had my TSH rechecked today and i see an endocrinlogist later this week. I end up losing the weight i gained it's never a true gain for more than a few weeks but none the less worrysome.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

SkinnyScientist
on 2/6/14 8:59 am

I hear ya sister! Of course it is worrisome.  People just dont get how you can make good food choices, exercise and still pack on the weight when hormones are off. They think "Why dont you just eat less."

And for those of us who have gained a lot of weight with/or without hormone problems, it is scary to see the backsliding. It is history repeating itself and that little voice whispers "It will be just like last time.  It is going to come back on and not come off at all."

So see your endo. Maybe check those LH and FSH levels too. My PCOS acted up when I was dieting and had lost some weight. I dont know if it was the carby WW recipes (good points value; bad glycemic index values), endocrine disruptors being released from my fat (dont laugh..I worked in a rat room wiht feed lasted with disruptors in grad school) or just hormones being released from the fat making stuff wacky.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Make good choices and fight to see the endo ASAP. To get in early, ask to have the appointment of someone who cancelled. Get on the waiting list. You may have to drop everything when they call but you CAN get squeezed in during the week usually.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/6/14 9:41 am - OH

That is definitely a significant amount for weight given the cir****tances, so I am glad you are getting help.  

Your thyroid is probably not the culprit, however.  It would have to be awfully low (hypo) to cause that kind of weight gain with as little as you can eat, and you would undoubtedly be experiencing significant other symptoms like muscle cramping/pain/weakness and fatigue. (I have been severely hyperthyroid (Graves Disease) and also severely hypothyroid (after the radioactive iodine treatment), and it took about 2.5 years to get it all sorted out, so I did a lot of research on it).

I sure hope they can figure it out.  It may well be a combination of things.  Hang in there (and just keep doing your best to make good food choices and follow the "rules").

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lisa W.
on 2/6/14 11:42 am - Denver, CO

I had severe edema i was 315 went to 343 spent 5 days in hospital on iv lasix left at 323 but my nut says even with problems i need to lose weight lost 11 pounds in 12 days i also am waiting for a nut approval due to my edema now under control.

Lisa Willis

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 247 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views