Well, maybe I don't dump anymore

poet_kelly
on 2/7/14 9:44 pm - OH

Not sure if I am happy about that or not.  I guess it really doesn't matter much because I've gotten quite used to sticking to no more than 15 grams of sugar at a time so even if I don't dump anymore, I do not plan to start eating more sugar.

I had some cookies, which I am good at eating only in moderation.  I read the lable to see how much sugar was in them and saw they had 11 grams per serving.  I thought a serving was two cookies because I've  had some similar cookies before and a serving was two of them.  I know it's important to read the labels carefully but somehow I missed the fact that with these particular cookies, a serving is just one.  So I thought I was eating 11 grams of sugar and realized only after I'd eaten them that I ate 22 grams of sugar.  And nothing happened.  No dumping.  Huh.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chicagomo
on 2/7/14 10:40 pm

that's the good/bad news, right Kelly? I learned after 20 months I don't dump either. It's  alittle scary! 

averybyrd
on 2/8/14 12:43 am

I never actually dumped, but I did at first get ill feeling if I ate something I shouldn't. One time, I ate some nuts my mom had made, thinking they weren't so sugary. I don't know why I didn't notice that they were too much, but I had to lie down because I hurt so badly. 

But over Christmas, through a series of bad choices, I discovered that actually I don't dump at all. I can eat almost anything. 

I'm not sure it's a good thing, either. Now I have to rely on my own good intentions alone. 

selhard
on 2/8/14 2:37 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I glanced up at your 2008 WLS date and thought, "Wow, that many years for you to make that discovery."  I think many figure that out a whole heck of a lot sooner.  I think you'll stay just as successful no matter what. 

poet_kelly
on 2/8/14 2:40 am - OH

Well, at one point I did dump.  I didn't actually test it on purpose but a couple times I ate things without being careful about reading the label and measuring and ended up getting more sugar than I thought.  So I learned from those unpleasant experiences and have been really careful about sugar since then.  As far as I know, this is the first time in, oh, at least three years that I've eaten this much sugar.  But since I did dump a couple times earlier, I just assumed I still did.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NDHM
on 2/8/14 2:58 am

I agree

jamienichols22
on 2/8/14 2:45 am - MI

Kelly how much sugar do you usually consume in a days time?

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

poet_kelly
on 2/8/14 2:58 am - OH

I dunno.   I've never tracked it.  I keep meals/snacks to no more than 15 grams total and many meals are less than that.  But in a typical day, I might have a protein shake made with milk (so about 12 grams of sugar from the lactose, even though the protein shake has no sugar and I don't add any), then I might have an apple with almond butter for a snack so that's about 19 grams of sugar from the fructose in the apple (when I say I try to keep meals/snacks to no more than 15 grams at a time, I'm talking about stuff with added sugar, I don't worry about the sugar in milk or fruit), and for another snack I might have a protein bar with 12 grams of sugar. so that right there is more than 40 grams of sugar which sounds like a lot.  But the only "sugary" thing would be the protein bar.

jamienichols22
on 2/8/14 3:25 am - MI

Okay cause I am 9 weeks out and mine is around 36 for most days but no more than like 14 grams at a time and that's my protein shake which I make with milk. How many calories were you getting a day when you was around 9 wks out? 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

poet_kelly
on 2/8/14 3:27 am - OH

I have no clue.  I didn't count calories then.  Probably less than 800 - I think when started counting them sometimes was when I was about six months out and then I was getting about 800, so at nine weeks it would have been less than that.  All I counted in the beginning was protein grams.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 452 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404