ulcer?

shawna W.
on 2/8/14 1:04 am
RNY on 07/26/13

little back story

okay so I had gallbladder surgery a little over a week ago. I have not had much luck. the surgery pain is gone but other things not so much. when I stand for a while i feel as if i am having a gallbladder attack a really bad one. and so i been living off crackers and water. i thought i was feeling better so i reached out and made myself some pan seared chicken with tomato and parm cheese. i had severe pain and its gut wrenching where you curl up in a ball and cry cause it hurts so bad. i thought maybe something wrong with surgery. anyway my husband forced me to the ER.  they gave me pain medicine which made everything a heck of a lot worse it made the pain even more extreme to where i was screaming in pain! they did a CT and didn't find anything.... so the doctor at this point just thinks its an ulcer. they finally gave me beneydral which really helped calm down the pain and fetenal.

so anyway my question is can an ulcer hurt this bad?!?!?!

symptoms im having: extreme pain (where the breastbone is), nausea, can't eat anything outside bread and cheese, cant drink anything other than water and powerade zero, bloated, gas/burping.

i just hope they figure it out soon cause i was finally feeling better (other than gallbladder stuff hence why they took it out) and doing a lot of things.

medicine they gave me was nexium and Carafate.  and have a scope Wednesday.

~Shawna

HW: 358 SW: 316   

scoobyluvr1
on 2/8/14 5:45 am
RNY on 10/21/13

Shawna, I was dx'd with an ulcer not long after my surgery.  While it was painful it doesn't seem it was as bad as what you've been experiencing. I"m sorry your going through this and I'm glad you are having that scope.  I hope you are feeling better soon please let us know what you find out.

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

shawna W.
on 2/9/14 6:47 am
RNY on 07/26/13

thank you I definitely will :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/14 1:03 pm

HUGS...? Ouch. Yes. Ulcer van hurt that bad.  To limit ulcer psi google ulcer friendly recipe. Anything with acid - like tomato sauce hurt as someone stubbed in in as gut,   . hot drinks or cold drinks no go Also any volume of food that may cause any normal  pouch expansion caused horrible pain. I lived on liquids and mild Soups. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

shawna W.
on 2/9/14 6:52 am
RNY on 07/26/13

right now with the medicine they gave me is really helping. I have eaten some regular foods, I tried eggs, I ate some meat they went well so far. so this medicine is really going well. and sorry you have felt the pain too :(

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/9/14 8:52 am

Thanks.  Keep that meds on hand even after everything heals.  I do. So when I suspect irritation, before ulcer is form - I can act on it and no it get an ulcer. 

Be well. BTW - learn on my mistake - don't stop taking meds once the pain stopped. Maked sure you take them as doc recommend to completely heal the ulcer

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dorkgirl_41
on 2/8/14 1:36 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Ulcer pain can vary in severity for each person. I have an anastomotic ulcer and I would get the blinding pain for a few mins, then it would be gone. The pain came in waves. It was start at a low number on the pain scale, then peak at 9 or 10, then fade back down.  Now, after being on the omeprazole and carafate for 3 months, it's so much better. Good luck with the scope!

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

shawna W.
on 2/9/14 6:53 am
RNY on 07/26/13

sorry you have felt this pain too. thank you :) and I am feeling better after a few days on this medicine. im so happy.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 333 views