Question about Applesauce

mobailey68
on 2/8/14 6:44 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Hi... Trying to prepare for after my surgery and I went to the grocery to look for applesauce. I am having a hard time finding some with low sugar. I found one with 11 grams per serving and that was the lowest. I am just learning. Is the sugar from non sugar added applesauce something that is going to make me ill (assuming if I dump)? Hope this isn't a silly question. Thanks.

poet_kelly
on 2/8/14 6:55 am - OH

All applesauce contains sugar because it's made from apples, and apples all contain naturally-ocuring sugar in the form of fructose.  Choose an applesauce with no sugar added.  Read the label to make sure it has no sugar listed in the ingredients.

Will you dump on fructose?  Well, the only way to know for sure will be to try it.  Only about 30% of people dump at all, and many of them only dump on sucrose, or table sugar, that white grainy stuff you put in cookies and candy bars and such.  But it is possible that you could dump on fructose, especially large amounts of it.  Most people that dump can handle 10 or 11 grams of sugar, though.

So the answer is, no sugar added applesauce probably will not make you dump, but there is a small chance it could.  The more of it you eat at one time, the more likely you are to dump on it, but even if you eat a large amount, you probably won't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mobailey68
on 2/8/14 8:11 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Thanks for the response poet_kelly.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/8/14 10:23 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Be sure it is on your plan. It was expressly forbidden post-op for me until fruits were added back, but it was allowed my first pre-op week. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

kbinaz
on 2/8/14 10:33 am

Applesauce isn't particularly healthy so I wouldn't even take the risk of dumping.  I'm not sure what your post-op diet is, but if you can eat soft foods you'd be better off with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese (I could have those post op)  I have the most trouble with dumping if I don't have protein with the sugar or just before it - so if you do eat it, try to combine it with a protein and that should help.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 216 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics