GNC Protein Powder makes me nauseous!

Michele1az
on 2/9/14 12:26 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13

I am 5 months out from revision RNY. I have lost 80lbs so far getting my protein from food, but lately I have been trying GNC Protein powder which is 60g a serving. I put in 12oz of 2% milk and 3 scoops of powder. I blend it all with ice and it tastes great, but when I am done I have to lay down because I feel so sick. 

Has as anyone else gone through this? I have checked the sugars and it is only 3g, so I am confused at why I feel so sick. 

HELP! 

Michele

Michele in Arizona

Surgery:8-26-13

poet_kelly
on 2/9/14 12:31 am - OH

I don't know why it makes you nauseous.  But if you are getting enough protein from your food,and the protein shake makes you nauseous, I wouldn't drink it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sonyamarie75
on 2/9/14 1:36 am - OH
RNY on 08/20/13 with

That's a lot of protein in one serving. Yikes! You could try just a half of a shake and see if you can tolerate that. Maybe its the 12 oz of milk all at once? I know I am pretty sensitive to milk now. I can do a few ounces at a time... No more than 8... and even sometimes that bothers me. 

Good luck. 

Sonya B, Toledo, Ohio- RNY  08/20/13  

Day_dream_believer
on 2/9/14 5:09 am

Try drinking it with water or half water half milk.

I have found some protein shakes make me sick, but I have never figured out why.

You can always return the tub to GNC for a refund. 

angeleigh
on 2/9/14 6:12 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

It might be the sugar in the milk. Or even lactose intolerance. Can you drink that much milk on its own without feeling sick? I know I can drink about 1/4 of a cup and it will make me feel a little sick but not to much, but anything over that and I am very sick to my stomach.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/10/14 12:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I cannot tolerate cow milk any longer.

Why are you trying to get 60g in all at once? My doctor wants me to have protein at least 3x a day and prefers 5. Are you required to get it all in at once? Have you tried almond milk or jus****er for your shake?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 275 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics